breeding silver laced wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by flaming007, Mar 3, 2012.

1. flaming007

flaming007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    I just got 5 silver laced wyandottes and would like to know what other breeders look for in a good quaility bird for showing and breeding. I have pictures of my birds on my profile if anyone would like to see my birds.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The first and biggest help you could likely get is from the American Standard of Perfection book. [​IMG]

Seeing your photos the hens are in poor shape from over-breeding so it is hard to judge them but from what I see you're off to a pretty good start. I'm no Wyandotte breeder though so I've got little to no tips aside aiming for the standard, a healthy bird, and especially a bird of good weight. I could help you out in some breed standard pointers but honestly your hens look weird to me with their missing backs/tails. So, it's up to your judgement based from what you see in live view and also memory from before they got bred.

3. flaming007

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    I just got them today and they cam e out of a big group of birds. They are 8~10 weeks old. I know to follow the standard but if found out birds don't always breed on how they look. Thankyou for the comments though!:D I am new to chickens and trying to learn every thing I can

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think you mean 8-10 months [​IMG]

Well true, there's very very few truly show quality birds out of so many in a batch, but in general, the batch and the parent flock should fit pretty well, certainly not as badly as most hatchery stock does especially concerning Wyandottes. It always does help to have good parent stock. No pinched tails, no underweight or narrow birds, no squirrel tails or even, preferably none above 50 degrees, no poor lacing, no single combs, stuff like that.

5. flaming007

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    Haha yes you know what I ment. These birds are out of good stock and are the last ones from a breed up north I can't think of his name right now but I'll think of it later when I'm not trying to think of him! Haha

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    From what I see, I have some pretty good silver's, they look to be pretty good type. It is a bit hard to tell given condition but that will grow back. They have the right shape and good lacing. I would not be afraid to start with these.

There are poultry judges that sign in from time to time that can help you more than I, but I like them.

See if you can pm NYREDS you will get a straight answer from him.

I would not be surprised if the parent stock was from Foley's water fowl. Hard to determine size but they look big and have nice wide heads.

7. flaming007

Feb 12, 2012
    canton kansas
    Thankyou! These birds come from bob coulter birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by