Breeding Silver Muscovy?

Rosecomb-Ryan

East Indie Crazed
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Sacramento CA
I have 4 Silver, a Black, and a Blue Female Muscovy that I am keeping NOW........ What drake to keep I have a Silver and a Black I want to hatch alot of Blues this year. Ideas PLEASE!

Here is a link to MDC's genetics pg.

http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/genetics.html

Looks like if you keep the Black drake you would have 4 females giving you ALL blues plus your Blue female giving you 50% blues. LOTS of Blues!
wink.png

Can we have some pics? Sorry I love Scovy pics
tongue.png

ETA: Why cant someone have one of those charts with WHITE ducks on it?
barnie.gif
I want to know if my drake who is white with a headspot and comes from a long line of white on both sides, will produce with my pied and bibbed hens that arent white. Sorry for the rant lol.

Last edited:
I want to know if my drake who is white with a headspot and comes from a long line of white on both sides, will produce with my pied and bibbed hens that arent white.

Well, YESSSSSS, he will PRODUCE unless he is infertile.
lol.png
I take it, you would like to know WHAT colors etc. will be produced?
wink.png
Sorry, I can't tell you. You can pm MDC or Cottage Rose with the question since they both seem to know quite a bit about how these genetics work. Then post and let the rest of us know.
smile.png

Actually unless you 'have' to get rid of a drake there's no reason you can't use both on different hens. Put your black drake on your silver hen and I believe you'd get 100% blues. Using a black on blues helps if the blue is getting too washed out as it adds some 'depth' back to the blue. Then again, sometimes you'll get a dark blue that aren't as desirable for 'show'. I have never really worried about that because I don't show. I think if you put your silver drake on your blue duck you'd get 50% each theoretically. That's not to say if you have a clutch of twelve, six would be each color - it's the law of averages. You could also put the silver drake on a silver duck w/ the blue duck.

I tend to be a proponent of diversity so I like to keep my options open. It's funny, with animals, people generally dislike diversity in favor of a uniform 'cloned' look, but 'diversity' is a very politically correct term when referring to human-kind. Maybe it's just me, but I find that odd.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom