Breeding Silver Muscovy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosecomb-Ryan, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I have 4 Silver, a Black, and a Blue Female Muscovy that I am keeping NOW........ What drake to keep I have a Silver and a Black I want to hatch alot of Blues this year. Ideas PLEASE!

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Can we have some pics? Sorry I love Scovy pics [​IMG]

ETA: Why cant someone have one of those charts with WHITE ducks on it? [​IMG] I want to know if my drake who is white with a headspot and comes from a long line of white on both sides, will produce with my pied and bibbed hens that arent white. Sorry for the rant lol.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to know if my drake who is white with a headspot and comes from a long line of white on both sides, will produce with my pied and bibbed hens that arent white.

Well, YESSSSSS, he will PRODUCE unless he is infertile. [​IMG] I take it, you would like to know WHAT colors etc. will be produced? [​IMG] Sorry, I can't tell you. You can pm MDC or Cottage Rose with the question since they both seem to know quite a bit about how these genetics work. Then post and let the rest of us know. [​IMG]

5. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    here is some of my Muscovys....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ill get more later

6. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Actually unless you 'have' to get rid of a drake there's no reason you can't use both on different hens. Put your black drake on your silver hen and I believe you'd get 100% blues. Using a black on blues helps if the blue is getting too washed out as it adds some 'depth' back to the blue. Then again, sometimes you'll get a dark blue that aren't as desirable for 'show'. I have never really worried about that because I don't show. I think if you put your silver drake on your blue duck you'd get 50% each theoretically. That's not to say if you have a clutch of twelve, six would be each color - it's the law of averages. You could also put the silver drake on a silver duck w/ the blue duck.

I tend to be a proponent of diversity so I like to keep my options open. It's funny, with animals, people generally dislike diversity in favor of a uniform 'cloned' look, but 'diversity' is a very politically correct term when referring to human-kind. Maybe it's just me, but I find that odd. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by