Spring Fleet Chickens

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2019
Good evening everyone.
I have two Splash Ameraucana Roos I got shipped to me from a breeder. I know that the Splash variety is not an excepted color yet, but I'd like to focus on them.
I have seen several posts about showing your birds and knowing the judges and what "type" they like. (as in over all look) I notice mine are more "upright" and after looking through images online it seems some are excepted that way for type? Can someone please explain the proper SOP and what to focus on? My boys are only around 8 months old so they are still maturing.
I have noticed one of my boys with one random red feather on his back. What does that mean?
So many questions.. I would like to get into showing these birds but I can find very little on the Splash variety.
Anyone here breed Splash? Care to share photos and experience?
Thanks!!!

Splash is one of three colors that are all related to the Blue gene. While you can breed splash color birds together and get more splash birds, each generation will be lighter in color with fewer spots.

Breeding Splash with Black or Blue will help keep the color better. These three together can almost be considered one color family. You can read more about Andalusian blue - AKA Blue-black-splash color genetics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blue-color.1204996/#post-19111094

Splash is not an accepted variety for show in any breed of chicken. They can only be shown in the AOV (All Other Varieties) class and cannot advance from there. @Amer shows so may be able to give you more details on that process, but personally I wouldn't waste your time trying to breed Splash for show. Instead concentrate on BBS as a whole. Your Blue and Black birds can be shown. That being said while Splash has no color standard, obviously all other physical characteristics hold true for them, just as they do in Blue and Black.

Yeah sorry you cant show splash ameraucanas besides in the AOV class like @ColtHandorf said. But if you wanted to start showing birds I suggest you get the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection. It has EVERYTHING you need to know. I am getting started with all this and you need to have that book to understand your birds SOP and everything about exhibition.

Splash is not an accepted variety for show in any breed of chicken. They can only be shown in the AOV (All Other Varieties) class and cannot advance from there. @Amer shows so may be able to give you more details on that process, but personally I wouldn't waste your time trying to breed Splash for show. Instead concentrate on BBS as a whole. Your Blue and Black birds can be shown. That being said while Splash has no color standard, obviously all other physical characteristics hold true for them, just as they do in Blue and Black.

Yeah sorry you cant show splash ameraucanas besides in the AOV class like @ColtHandorf said. But if you wanted to start showing birds I suggest you get the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection. It has EVERYTHING you need to know. I am getting started with all this and you need to have that book to understand your birds SOP and everything about exhibition.
x2
Personally, I would still show them because people are trying to get them added to the Standard, but if you want to win, get some blues or blacks as well.
The red feather is something judges will mark down for. Unless he is really superior, I would breed from the other, leakage can be hard to breed out.
Upright isn't the best type, though. Ameraucanas are supposed to be "medium" with good fleshing, being well filled-out.

I seem to be learning a lot from this it seems APS and Australian poultry standards and classes are very different…. It would be interesting to actually sit down and compare the 2 class by class….

Back
Top Bottom