breeding to egg period?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Jmiller429, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    My narragannsett tom has been giving it to my bronze/eastern cross for the last few days, how soon should i expect to start finding eggs? they free range from 8 am to 4, then i put the flock in the barn.

2. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chirping

Mar 3, 2011
    turkeys only lay there eggs in the spring hope this helps

3. SED

SED Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    My Bourbon Reds have been laying for over a month. If they are free ranging, it is possible that they are already laying. You may have a hard time finding the nest.

4. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chirping

Mar 3, 2011
    my turkeys dont ever start for a few more weeks

5. Thomasturkey

Thomasturkey Chirping

Jan 14, 2011
    You will never know unless you lock them up. Turkeys are very sneaky when it comes to finding there nest. I did not think mine where laying yet. I watched them all day long. I never found a nest. I locked them up and clipped there wings because I knew it was getting close to egg laying time. The next day I had 3 dozen eggs.

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    My pinned birds started laying this week but the free rangers have been laying a few weeks. I find them here and there laying around.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Not necessarily true. My turkeys lay year round.

8. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    kuntrygirl how do you manage that?

9. Quote:In southern areas they do lay much more. There was a member here on BYC from Thailand close to the equator and they said theirs laid year round. One of the big factors in laying is the lenght of day and the further south you go the less change there is in the daylight hours.

Steve

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I have nothing to do with the laying. It's all up to them. Steve is the expert, so I go with what he says.

Steve_of_sandspoultry
    Today 5:51 amJmiller429 wrote:
    kuntrygirl how do you manage that?
    In southern areas they do lay much more. There was a member here on BYC from Thailand close to the equator and they said theirs laid year round. One of the big factors in laying is the lenght of day and the further south you go the less change there is in the daylight hours.

Steve​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: