Breeding up

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shylis, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Shylis

Shylis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Good evening,
    This is my first post here, but I've been stalking the boards, reading posts for a few weeks now. I do not have any chickens yet (I am in my "research stage"), but hopefully I will be getting some later this spring. I have questions about various things and I would rather get advice from people who actually have chickens, instead of from books or websites. And I also have thoughts and will likely post some "just wondering" topics.

Anyway, my first "just wondering" is about "breeding up". I read in a book that it is possable to breed up to pure. I understand how this idea works in theory, but I don't remember ever reading about this on any websites I looked at. So, I was curious if this a common practice or if it is frowned upon? It makes sense, I suppose, to introduce "new blood" to rare breeds. Or to increase traits like egg production, fertility, etc. But at the same time, too much of this would dilute a rare breeds genetics, wouldn't it?

If this is in the wrong area, feel free to move it or what-have-you.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    breeding up or breeding down is some time easest way to breed a bird with out mixing another breed in, u well get trough back of both sizes but breeding up is easier then breeding down

3. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    some time u find quailty birds in one size, ok birds in the other size to emprove the other

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    breed up from bantams to make standard frizzle cochin
    [​IMG]

5. Shylis

Shylis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Oh, chickens come in two sizes. I forgot that. I wasn't talking about sizes, sorry for the confusion. I should have been more clear. I was talking, for example, breeding an Ameraucana (sp?) and a Leghorn, to increase egg production(?). Then breeding the F1 back to Ameraucana, and the same with each generation until you basically have Ameraucana.

6. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    yes that is done too to make black ameraunas biger the breed then to black austerlops allso to im prove leg color at one time polish was breed in

7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    naked necks where breed silkies to get showgirls

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    there is a chart that shows what you are talking about, let me fimd it

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:what is being asked is if you add a different breed to a line to improve, let say color, you need to then line breed to remove the added breed, is that what your asking, not the making of a new breed like the showgirl

10. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    she ask if it was common pratice yes it is for some

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by