1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding vs Buying

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by protodon, Nov 30, 2009.

1. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Can anyone tell me if it is cheaper to breed some meat birds or cheaper to get them from a hatchery? I know for cornish X you have to get them fro ma hatchery but for say pekin ducks, one could breed their own but is it cost affective? Are colored rangers a breed that breeds true and is it more cost effective just to buy them as chicks? Whether or not it's cost effective, I can tell you at least hatching my own chicks is much easier than coordinating a pick-up at the post office on the day of arrival.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Finding a good hatchery still allows you to bring new blood into your stock. All too often folks end up with Mutts or too closely breed birds, IMHO.

3. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:A pekin should consume 0.4 pounds per day of feed, or about 150 pounds of feed per year. That translates for me about to $30 a year for the hen, and assuming that one drake will service five females, $6 of feed a year for the drake allocated to the female. Now if you can get 100 fertile eggs per year from the pekin, that will cost $36 in feed or $0.36 per fertile egg. If you add all other costs such as incubator depreciation, electricity, bedding, etc. you will probably be at $1 per fertile egg or duckling.

So, yes it is feasible,

4. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I'm hatching and raising my own meat birds (Dark Cornish), but it is because I want to be as self sustained as possible, not because it saves me money. The idea is to have a closed loop, with as little outside input as possible. Some day I will be raising my own feed for them, which will make us even more self sufficient. For now, I buy as local as I can for it.

If I wanted to do it as cheaply as possible, I would probably order Cornish X every year.

Cheaper yet, I could shop at Walmart. [​IMG]

5. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    i plan on hatching my own heritage turkeys next year selling some poults to pay for feed to raise the rest to eat i guess ill have to see how many i hatch lol
    as for meat chickens i dont know the feed conversion efficiency would be lost breeding your own meat birds if you were going for a CRx type birds but if your breeding a heritage breed you can eat the culls and extra roosters, thats my plan for the years to come once i fill my big coop with Dominiques next spring

6. Misty Oak Ranch

Misty Oak Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Bluefield
    I guess that it would depend on the breed. I plan on keeping a few red broiler hens back and crossing to a RIR rooster. Not sure how that will work out, I would think it would work fairly well. Also thought about rosambro, but I have yet to talk to anyone who has raised them.

7. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:It will probably hit-or-miss, as Red Broilers are hybrids that are the result of crossing four different lines. None of them will look like a Red Broiler, I would imagine.

If you do, though, let us know how it turns out.

8. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I might buy some chicks next spring and decide if I want to keep any around once processing time comes around. But I do have my own mixed flock that I hatch eggs and cull roos from and I find it to be pretty convenient. One thing that I think I definitely might try to keep some breeders for is Jumbo Pekin Ducks. I've never raised them or regular Pekin, although I do have many other kinds of duck. The Junbo Pekins are a bit on the expensive side. If I buy some from maybe Metzer and see how they grow, then I will decide if I want to raise them myself. I imagine they would require more feed to keep around as breeders than a normal sized pekin duck though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by