Breeding waterfowl

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by InviteTanner, Mar 31, 2011.

1. InviteTanner

InviteTanner Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    If you have one male and two females in one pen and they both have clutches hatched, do they keep them apart or raise them together? Also, can a male from one clutch and a female from the other clutch be sold as a breeding pair or is that considered inbreeding?

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    You might want to observe the mothers behaviors and make sure there is no picking going on. It vary's from duck to duck but in times past my mothers would pick at the other mothers ducklings if they were around hers. and no you can't exactly sell them as a breeding pair. If they did breed on accident it wouldn't be that big of a deal, one generation of siblings breeding isn't too bad, but i would go ahead and sell them as siblings seeing as how they have the same father because most people wanting breeding pairs want unrelated birds to start there own breeding flock.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. InviteTanner

InviteTanner Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I've gotten differing opinions on this. I've been told that half siblings are fine as breeding pairs, but others have said that's a big no-no.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by