Breeding white silkie rooster with splash hen=?

kandersn3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 17, 2013
Waynesboro, PA
I have 3 white silkies. 1 roo and 2 hens. I want to get some splash hens. What would the baby chicks look like? or should I get a splash roo? any suggestions or info is appreciated. Im only familiar with my white silkies

I would suggest only breeding splash variety to splash variety. You can breed white to splash, but you will have to work a few generations to get back to pure splash, which includes heavy culling. Save yourself some years and get the best splash hens and roo that fits the Standard of Perfection.

I have 3 white silkies. 1 roo and 2 hens. I want to get some splash hens. What would the baby chicks look like? or should I get a splash roo? any suggestions or info is appreciated. Im only familiar with my white silkies
if you breed White silkie roo over Splash silkie hen you will produce "Blue" Silkies. white silkies are eb at the e locus which is one of the most recessive e allele. the Splash silkies are based on Extended Black(E) at the e locus. which is the most dominant e allele. so all of the chicks will be E/eb and will look like pure blue silkies at hatch.. white silkies can hide many genes, but most of this genes like Pg or Ml or Co. but Extended black is epistatic to all of these genes. so in short they will all look Blue as chick and mostly blue whe adults. if you want more splash just breed the best looking male back to mother or other splash hen and you will get 50% spalsh birds will splash and the other 50% will be blue

Back
Top Bottom