Breeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SilkiesRcool, Sep 23, 2017.

1. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    i have a bunch of EE and I have an ameracauna that isn't sexed yet. All of my EE are grown and the ameracauna is a chick. I want to breed and sell chicks so basically whenever my ameracauna is grown. If I breed it to the EE are they considered EE or EE ameracauna crosses. I know EE are mutt ameracauna. If not I'll just get an EE roo. The chicken is lavender if that changes anything I'm not sure.
    Thank everyone in advance.

2. theuglychick

theuglychick Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    Hi! EEs are already not a purebred chicken, they like the "designer dogs of the chicken world. They can be a number of breeds mixed into them and they lay various colored eggs. I had a flock that laid pearly pink, green, and blue!

If you are breeding them to a true ameraucana cross, the offspring will still be Easter Eggers, which are mixes. Very popular mixes!

3. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank you basically I just still wanted the variety of colors from the chicks I like a lot of colors lol not just like all red or all yellow that was my main part of the question

theuglychick likes this.
  4. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    If the cockerel is Lavender, all offspring will likely be black, with varying degrees of gold or silver leakage, depending on the ground colour of the hens, and the cockerel's hidden ground colour. This is because Lavender is a recessive modifier of black, and unless one of the hens also have a copy of the gene, it won't show in the offspring. Black is one of the most dominant bases (e-locus) and will therefore display over whichever base the females are.

The cockerel in my DP is Lavender based on Extended Black I believe, and this year he has produced only Black, White, and Lavender chicks with mixed-breed hens. (Dominant white is another modifier of black, and I have hens with dominant white running with him).

Try this chicken genetics calculator.

5. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Oh well that's kind of a huge disappointment thanks for the info though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by