breeding

so if you were to purchase lets say a Ginger red from one breeder who has focused on the hen line and the a rooster from a different breeder who has focused on the rooster line , and you were to mate these two together what would you expect ?

so if you were to purchase lets say a Ginger red from one breeder who has focused on the hen line and the a rooster from a different breeder who has focused on the rooster line , and you were to mate these two together what would you expect ?

From my understanding, you could expect to get birds that you could cross the cockerels back to the hen to get good exhibition females and pullets back to the cock for good male exhibition projects.

I think for that you'd want a hen from a male line and a cockbird from a female line... But it depends if the characteristics in question are sex linked I think. You might just end up with "decent but not great" birds of both sexes which you could just pair up accordingly, but unless you have unlimited time and space it would be better to focus on one line. Think of how many chicks have to be hatched and grown out for each project. It's a lot.

Back
Top Bottom