Breeding ????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Zwalker16, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Zwalker16

Zwalker16 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    I'm curious on how to breed them. Do I need to separate them from the others? When do I know they breed ect?

2. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    What r u trying to breed a certain Male and female or a group?
    Theres 2 ways u can tell if u see them do it or u can check if an eggs fertile on the yolk
    More info on what ur trying to do would be helpful

3. Zwalker16

Zwalker16 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    I have mature amauracanas that I want to breed. The other hens are not mature. I'm just trying to figure out when it's a fertile egg, will she nest and lay several at a time when the breed? As much info is appreciated.

4. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    If you have and a roo(s) they will mate lol. If your specifically breeding certain birds then you should have a “breeding pen” mainly if you have multiple roosters if only one then make sure you know whose eggs are whose depending on what you’d like to hatch. You will see and hear them breed, you can always check eggs for fertility by looking for a small “bullseye” in the yolk. And remember if your hens have been running with multiple roos and you only want them to be bred by one to separate from other roos at least 1 month in advance as their sperm will live for about 2-4 weeks in them once bred.

What are you planning on breeding? Are you going to hatch them? I love playing with colors and genetics in my birds and making some cute babies lol

Pekin747 likes this.
  5. Zwalker16

Zwalker16 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    I have lavender amauracanas I'm going to breed and also a true amauracana with the lavender

RustyBucketFarmGirl and Pekin747 like this.
  6. Zwalker16

Zwalker16 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    Ameraucanas!! Sorry for the misspelling

Pekin747 likes this.
  7. Zwalker16

Zwalker16 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    New to this so trying to grow my farm and learn as much as possible

8. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    Any pics of ur flock?
    Yea for breeding u will nearly see them doing it the rooster usually drops one wing and circles the hens and when shes intrested she will let him get on top of her

Zwalker16 likes this.
  9. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    Ooh lavenders are gorgeous you’ll have to be somewhat selective in your breeding program so you don’t end up with the curse of the lavender feathers, which is just some weird breakage. I’m also pretty sure in the amerucauna breed standard is referred to as “self-blue”. Are you planning on selling hatching eggs and chicks? Or just curious about all the mechanics?

Willowspirit and Zwalker16 like this.
  10. Zwalker16

Zwalker16 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    Yes they are beautiful! I may end up hatching and selling depending on demand but for now trying to learn and grow

RustyBucketFarmGirl likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: