breeding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pekinduck<3er, Jan 22, 2011.

1. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi im a newbie to ducks breeding can you tell me what to do if something goes wrong or any thing to know and about their breeding habits? idk my ducks are starting

2. pekinduck<3er

anyone??????

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Do you have any specific questions? Can you also give a bit of info on your ducks, how old they are, breeds etc? I think you'll get answers a lot quicker if you post this info.

Michelle

4. pekinduck<3er

thnx well they are 4 months old.

they are cayugas.

they are just now starting to breed in their pool now and im worried about it!

i have two male and female.

QUESTIONS:

1. When will my hen lay?

2. When she lays her first batch will they may be fertile or will take a awhile till she is fully mature how long?

3. What is better her incubation or me taking them and incubating them?

4. If i take them and when there about to hatch i put them under her and,? will she still take them?

5. What could go wrong when they breed?

6. Will they do it in the pool or in the coop?

7. Will they do it infront of me? (eeeww i hope not) [​IMG]

THNX help me!! [​IMG]

Cara

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    First get rid of the extra cayuga male right away!!
    They will both try to breed her and she will end up getting killed by both of them.

6. pekinduck<3er

i gave him to my friend now what?? answere my questions anyone

7. Quote:He's right! Ducks you usually shouldn't have more than one drake unless you have at least five or six hens.
    1. A hen will usually start laying at 20 to 24 weeks depending on if there is enough hours of natural daylignt to support it.
    2. The first eggs may or may not be fertile, usually best to wait a few weeks to start hatching.
    3. I don't think Cayugas are a breed that you can count on to go broody and hatch ducklings, but there are exceptions. But the eggs will be wasted anyway untill she gets to the stage she is ready to go broody, if she ever will. If she does turn out to go broody, a duck will usually do a better job of hatching than an incubator.
    4. I have tried that, or at least with eggs that had been incubated for three weeks. I did it just to "break" my hens broodiness. The hen that had already proven herself to be a good mother did fine that way. The other two young hens didn't do quite as well but there could have been other reasons for that.
    5. Steve answered that exactly!
    6&7 LOL! Usually in the pool, and hey, you got ducks!!! That's what you get!! LOL!!

8. pekinduck<3er

thank u so i could put the eggs back under her?

9. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Quote:He's right! Ducks you usually shouldn't have more than one drake unless you have at least five or six hens.
    1. A hen will usually start laying at 20 to 24 weeks depending on if there is enough hours of natural daylignt to support it.
    2. The first eggs may or may not be fertile, usually best to wait a few weeks to start hatching.
    3. I don't think Cayugas are a breed that you can count on to go broody and hatch ducklings, but there are exceptions. But the eggs will be wasted anyway untill she gets to the stage she is ready to go broody, if she ever will. If she does turn out to go broody, a duck will usually do a better job of hatching than an incubator.
    4. I have tried that, or at least with eggs that had been incubated for three weeks. I did it just to "break" my hens broodiness. The hen that had already proven herself to be a good mother did fine that way. The other two young hens didn't do quite as well but there could have been other reasons for that.
    5. Steve answered that exactly!
    6&7 LOL! Usually in the pool, and hey, you got ducks!!! That's what you get!! LOL!!

Agree w/all this except 4
    If you start incubating them finish incubating them
    You dont want to put effort into something to let it die
    Unless your duck is already in broody stage it will not work out good for you and you only have a 50/50 chance if it is

10. wilmothfarms

wilmothfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    I have been told by a friend who is a duck breeder you really dont want her to try to hatch until she has laid about 100 eggs. The ducklings will be healthier and stronger AND she probably wont go broody until AT LEAST that many, she will be about a yr old at that time...
    and with my experience, thats about the time my hen started laying all her eggs in the same place. Of course its so cold I'm not letting her hatch yet, gonna wait until closer to spring.
    Nature can take its course....I wouldnt worry about
    "problems" with the breeding aspect of it. You'll have more problems with hatching possibly! Some breeds are just not good mommas - Pekins for one can just NEVER go broody or take years before they do, then you have to rely on a chicken or an incubator. Other breeds do great.
    Here are some good sites for you if your new to ducks. Good luck! Update us on how it turns out! ( really suggest reading these sites....totally great info on care and raising and breeding!) [​IMG]
    http://www.liveducks.com/care.html

http://www.liveducks.com/care.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by