Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenscape, Sep 30, 2011.

1. greenscape

greenscape Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    I have just gotten a really nice Brown Red Hen in a bunch of give to me chickens. What can I get from her? I have OEGB: BBRs, SDWs, and Blks Roo's. Anything I can do with this?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Mike,
    I should have a Brown red cockrell, come by sometime and we will get you set right. Do me a favor e-mail or post a Pic of her so I know a little more about the bird. I am interested in seeing body size, type, hackle color, breast lacing, breast width, head structure, leg length, legs, feet, and feet bottoms.

If you use her with the Blacks, you will introduce red hackles to them and will fight it for quite some time, The BB red will mess up a great deal as will the SDW.

3. greenscape

greenscape Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    Ok I'll take some pics and send them to your E-mail. I'll be going to the City the end of Oct. if you have something for me I'll come by on my way back home.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Just went and checked I have 3 Brown red Cockrells.

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Arent Brown Red OEG gold(s+/s+)wild type birds based on Er? arent BB Red OEG gold Wild Type birds? unless they carry Mahogany I see no reason for phemelanin enhancing effect..

Below boy is a Er based Game, but seems he was split for brown(eb) and had some pheomelanin enhancers as he is darker than normal looking Er based birds.. what do you think could be enhancing it?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit..
    I am working in introducing Dominant Dilute to the Er Game line, to make them golden looking without being golden...[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Arent Brown Red OEG gold(s+/s+)wild type birds based on Er? arent BB Red OEG gold Wild Type birds? unless they carry Mahogany I see no reason for phemelanin enhancing effect..

Below boy is a Er based Game, but seems he was split for brown(eb) and had some pheomelanin enhancers as he is darker than normal looking Er based birds.. what do you think could be enhancing it?
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/nicalandia/chocroo3.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/nicalandia/chocroo1.jpg

Edit..
    I am working in introducing Dominant Dilute to the Er Game line, to make them golden looking without being golden...[​IMG]

Marvin,
    You are correct the BB Red OEG is e+ and s+/s+ where as teh Brown red is ER s+/s+
    The problems come in from the blacks that have been crossed into the duckwing, and teh duckwing pattern itself coming to the surface in some of the feathers. It can be worked through but continues to pop up for generations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by