breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bluedawg, Jul 20, 2008.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Hi everyone. I plan to start a flock of wheaton Marans. I looked all over the forum for information on breeding but did not find any. My concern is that when I hatch the eggs - what if there are several roosters. I will need to find homes for all but one correct? Will they fight if I do not and how much time will I have to find homes before they start fighting? Then I was wondering If I allow the rooster to mate with the chickens to keep my flock going what will the effect of all this inbreeding be on my flock over the years?

Thanks much,
    -M

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

If raised together, several roosters will be able to live together, though there will always be one "alpha". Generally you only need one rooster for about 10 hens and the eggs should still have good fertility. As for inbreeding, unless you keep breeding close relatives for like 10 generations, you wont see anything bad. If you get something you like, breeders will have to inbreed a bit to get more of it. But if I were you I'd hatch out the eggs and maybe keep all the hens, sell the roosters, and then find a rooster from different lines so that you dont have to worry about it.

3. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by