Breeds a plenty!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by egghouse, Jul 28, 2013.

1. egghouse

egghouse Hatching

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    First time raising chickens. Got two batches (6 per) from TSC starting mid March.

I have ideas as to what the breeds could be, but the more I read, the more confused I am. (LOL)

These are all bantam sized birds and I have them all in one coop. (for now). I have too many Roos (6each) and I'm guessing 3-4 different breeds(or mixes). So, before I do anything I would like to make sure of what I have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[​IMG]
    First up is Stripes. He was giving me issues picking on Buttercup(see below). Read what to do on BYC and worked. No more pecking issues. (for now at least) (His crow still needs work though........very shrill..... hope it's something to grow out of because it is constant during the day.)

[​IMG]

This is Buttercup, and his legs are blue. I would say Ameracuna, but this is where people talk about the Easter Egger thing and I get lost. The picture does not show it well, but his comb is shorter and bumps all over.

The next picture of the hen on the roost is Rosie. She too has blue legs, and the feathers have the similar pattern as Buttercup, but she is more of a rust/orange/brown coloring. I'll try for a better pic tomorrow if needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's Lucy! (foreground) Ethel is to the right, but she has the same coloring. I will have to get a better picture of Tonto in the background. Tonto and the girls tend to hang around together. I was thinking Dorkings, but I saw something about Dorkings having 5 toes, but as you can see, the girls have 4.

[​IMG]
    Last and definitely not least is Big'un. He is the largest of all the birds (since day one, hence the name). He is pretty docile overall, almost to the point of me worrying if something was wrong with him. I have several females of the same thing.

2. K Spot

K Spot Songster

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013

4. egghouse

egghouse Hatching

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Thank you very much for the responses..

Much appreciated.

5. LeviS

LeviS Songster

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Agreed, the above posters appear to have nailed it.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

7. dwalters

dwalters Chirping

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Funny cuz i bought some at TSC this year and also got all the same breeds. They sold as silver sebrights. Got those plus golden, old english, and mille fleur!

8. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Songster

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    I have a few pecking issues in my flock, what did you do to stop it?
    You have some beautiful chickens by the way!! [​IMG]

9. chickencatcher1

chickencatcher1 In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    Central Maine
    We gave our chickens extra grain and gave them more room to move around in.

10. egghouse

egghouse Hatching

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Stripes and SIdney were pecking Buttercup to the point of making him bleed on the back of his head.

So, I removed Buttercup to heal. It was my fault for not seeing it earlier or I would have left him in the coop.

Anyhow, once he was healthy, I put him back and removed Stripes and Sidney. I took them both out because in a strange way they were working together. (and still do a little) So, the top of the pecking order was a little fuzzy, but they both needed a "timeout". After a few weeks, and they were not happy BTW, I let them back in the coop. There was some squawking and pecking to re-establish order, but the picking on Buttercup stopped.

What happens is Stripes and Sidney were more focused on the flock and not just Buttercup. The bad news was Buttercup did have to re-establish as well, but in the long run was worth it.

Now that he is older, I see him standing up more, even going after Stripes every once in a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: