Breeds and egg shell color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wings, Feb 19, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have four RIR hens that are about eight months old. I think (HOPE) all of them are laying. I got them from someone who hatched them with their kids, so I don't know about how good/strong the breed is in terms of genetics. I am only questioning their breed because I get bluish/greenish eggs. (I also get brown eggs, as well.) If you want pictures, you can find them at this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=127934
    (The
    pictures aren't great, just so you know.) What chickens could I have that look like RIRs or NHRs, but lay blue/green eggs???

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    That wasn't bred properly or isn't the breed they told you it was, RIR are supposed to lay a brown egg. Most definitely not blue or green

3. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    the hens are rhode island reds but it looks as if there is an aracuana rooster in there but that doesnt explain the green eggs.....mmmmm mystery [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  4. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have mystery chickens??? [​IMG]

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Probably mutt chickens with some RIR and EE thrown in there somewhere. I would call them EE since EE aren't really a breed and so can technically look like anything. They just have to lay blue or green eggs and you pretty much have an EE. Since the gene is dominant though they had to of hatched from blue/green eggs so the person selling them should know they aren't pure RIR.

6. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:They didn't sell them to me. It's a LONG story!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by