Breeds and Gender HELP?!?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by guys family, Sep 9, 2010.

1. guys family

guys family New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    We are new at this and our first 4 chickens are about 6 months old.....3 are laying eggs and have been for a few weeks now but we have one that is not laying. She is the Buff colored one in the pics.....someone told us today that she may not be laying because she is a rooster!?!?!

Question #1.......what breeds do these chickens look like?[​IMG]

Question #2........does the Buff one look like a rooster to anyone????[​IMG] I don't see it!

Question #3 .........if she is definitely a hen......when do you think we can expect her to lay?[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Can't say about the first one, the second one could be a buff orpington, and the last one looks a lot like my australorps. They certainly are pretty chickens! [​IMG]
    Don't see the rooster in the second one, doesn't look like any fancy tailfeathers or saddle feathers.

3. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    the second one is a buff orp i think and i think the third one is a black orp i do not know what the 1st one is and i think the yellow one is a roo

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They all look like pullets to me!! My Buff Orphington was one of the oldest in my flock to start laying!!

Missi

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    First and third are black sex-link hens the second one is a buff orpington hen..

Chris

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

All girls,

BO like many heavy breeds take a while to start laying.

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Gosh I am glad they think the yellow one is a hen.....I have one that looks just like that and was not sure if it was hen or roo! Hope they are right!

8. guys family

guys family New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    Thank you all for the responses ........ sounds like we were on the same track![​IMG]

9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

#1 black sex link ?
    #2 definately a buff orpington
    #3 Black Australop

Buff Orphington definately is a hen - nice rounded saddle area no long pointy saddles of a boy [​IMG] She should be laying anytime now or could be another month or two, some chickens just take forever before they decide they want to start producing for us [​IMG]

10. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree. And they all look like girls to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by