Breeds and Genders?

Oct 20, 2017
Hello, everybody! I've finally gotten around to taking some pictures and making this thread. :)
First off, my four big chicks are six-weeks old either today or tomorrow, and my two smaller ones (the red one--Emma--and black-and-brown--Superchick) are over four-weeks. The Barred Rock (Isabelle) was mislabeled as a Jersey Giant. And the white one (Daisy) was mislabeled as a Buff Orpington. Not to be rude and all, but couldn't those people tell them apart? :hmm
And the two younger ones I got from Orscheln's, so I don't trust what they labeled theirs, either. =P
I know Isabelle is a BR, and I'm thinking she's a pullet, but I got some pictures so you guys could help me confirm it. =)
0401182320e.jpg
0401182321.jpg
0402182205f.jpg
0402182206c.jpg
I hope they're good enough! Superchick, the possibly very youngest, supposedly Black Sex Link, has a pinker comb than Isabelle! Isabelle still has a yellow comb, with the slightest tint of pink color, it looks like.
And now I'll move on to Lacey, the SLW. She has a purple comb, and has had it before any of the others began to show a normal, super light pink color in theirs. Any guesses on gender for Lacey? (Sorry if the pictures aren't good enough...She hates being touched or me getting too close):
0402182206b.jpg

I read you can tell the Silver Laced Wyandotte's gender around this age by their pattern/lacing, so I hope the picture's good enough! :oops:
Now onto Emma, who's supposed to be a Production Red. Do you think she's really a she, and PR?
0402182200b.jpg

It was tough getting pictures of Emma, so right now that's all I have. Her comb is like Isabelle's, in it being pretty yellow, with a slight tint of pink. (But shortly before that, she flew onto my bed where Isabelle had flown, and seemingly had a 'stand-off' with her...also making me wonder if she wanted to mount Izzy like a cock!)
Then there's Daisy. Don't even know what she is. I'm guessing two things: A Jumbo Cornish Cross, or a White Leghorn. My mom thinks she stands higher than the others, and is possibly bigger than them, too. She LOVES eating, and plenty of times I've caught her at the food bowl by herself:
0401181853a.jpg

0402182209c.jpg

0402182209d.jpg
0402182210.jpg

She probably has the yellowest comb, with no pink tint as of yet, as far as I can tell, anyways. (I really like her, despite her being fairly skittish/flighty).
And the last picture of her is down below in the new post (do you think she's a pullet?).

0402182210a.jpg

Oh, and, my chicks are being fed a starter/grower with 18% protein (not meat chick feed). So, if she is a broiler, do you think that's why she's not much, if any, bigger than the others?
I've got two left to post pictures of, so bear with me, please!

She does not look like a meat bird to me.
Thanks! It doesn't bother me what she is...I just want to know what she is! :lol: If she's a White Leghorn, then I'm glad! Then I have lotsa' big white eggs to look forward to (because if that's the case, she should be my only white egg layer). And if she's a broiler, then I'm also happy with that!, because then she can feel love and hopefully have a nice (long) life. :love

Hi there Cara! They all look like pullets to me!
Hey, Abriana! :D Thank you!
They all look like pullets so far. I see a wyandotte, a production red, a white rock (or possibly a leghorn), and the barred one is probably a barred rock.
Thanks! That's nice to know you guys are thinking they're pullets. =D Yes, Isabelle is one of the two whose breeds I'm absolutely positive on! :D
Yes, Emma looks like a production red. Can you get a pic of supergirl? I have no clue about Daisy, except she’s not a leghorn. They are pretty skinny, and she obsiosly isn’t. :)
Thank you! Yes, I should get some of Superchick shortly! (And of Hope, my sixth girl). :) Hmm, I've been (and still am) very puzzled about Daisy's breed, too. :p

Here is Superchick: The pictures aren't very good, as she didn't want to cooperate. :p
Her feathering came in SUPER slowly, and Emma had a very nice, pronounced tail well before Superchick even got a stub for a tail. As a chick, she totally resembled a female BSL, though, and at her age now, I'm not sure what she'd be if she's not that, but her comb is possibly the pinkest out of them all, even though she's the youngest, I think:
0401182321b.jpg
0402182208.jpg
0402182209.jpg
0402182209a.jpg
0402182209b.jpg
0402182213.jpg

Her feathers also aren't very soft like the others' are. :hmm
I don't have time to post pictures of Hope, but I should do that tomorrow!

Here is Superchick: The pictures aren't very good, as she didn't want to cooperate. :p
Her feathering came in SUPER slowly, and Emma had a very nice, pronounced tail well before Superchick even got a stub for a tail. As a chick, she totally resembled a female BSL, though, and at her age now, I'm not sure what she'd be if she's not that, but her comb is possibly the pinkest out of them all, even though she's the youngest, I think:
View attachment 1322418 View attachment 1322419 View attachment 1322420 View attachment 1322421 View attachment 1322422 View attachment 1322423
Her feathers also aren't very soft like the others' are. :hmm
I don't have time to post pictures of Hope, but I should do that tomorrow!
Looks like a black sexlink to me. If she is, than she's definitely a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom