Breeds and genders???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by My3ChicksMBD, Sep 4, 2013.

1. My3ChicksMBD

My3ChicksMBD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    Hello!!! I have posted about my chicks before and asked what breeds and genders but they look a little different now and it might be easier to tell :) This first chick I think is a cochin but is it a rooster? It does not like being picked up and runs when you try to get
    him. Here he is. [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] Does he look like a rooster? And the next one kinda looks like a chipmunk. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] What breed does that one look like? It is probably hard to tell at this age which is fine :) The other bird is a black bird with big wings. I'm not exactly sure what breed it is but it may be an Australorp. :) Thanks so much!!! ~My3ChicksMBD

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    The last one looks like a ameraucana, or easter egger, depends on where you got it from.

1 person likes this.
  3. My3ChicksMBD

Aug 30, 2013
    Thank you! And I got them from a flea market. :)

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    She is mostly like a Easter Egger then, it is very hard to get purebred ameraucanas!

1 person likes this.
  5. My3ChicksMBD

Aug 30, 2013
    Okay. :) thank you!! :3

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your first chick looks like a White Cochin. Because of his/her large red comb for that age, I'd say that he's a rooster. Your other bird may be an Easter Egger, and I'd say that she's a pullet. As for the black bird that you mentioned, check the bottoms of its feet. If they are whitish, you have an Australorp (or, less likely, a Black Orpington). If the bottoms of the feet are yellow, you probably have a Jersey Giant or a Black Java. Post some more photos when they get older, though, as it can be difficult to tell the exact breed/variety when they are young.

Your're chicks are very cute! I always love chipmunk patterned chicks like your Easter Egger.

1 person likes this.
  7. My3ChicksMBD

Aug 30, 2013
    Thank you so much!!! Can I give people ratings? I want to give you five stars!!! Seriously!!!! You deserve them! :) I'm kind of glad that the first one may be a rooster :) I want to hatch chicks. :) But thank you so much for your answers!! :) And the bottoms of the black ones feet are black on one or two toes and yellow on one or two toes :)

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'm pretty sure you're little brown one is NOT an EE. It has the coloring of a Brown Leghorn chick and it has orange legs. I don't see any trace of a beard, either. Yes, I know not all EE's have beards, but I still don't think this chick is one.

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I always forget the leg color factor. DX Thank you for reminding me.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that you are correct; the white one is a White Cochin, as the single comb and foot feathering is typical of Cochins. Judging by the comb redness/size, he is probably a rooster. Pullets don't develop such red combs until they are close to laying.

The brown chick (which, by the way, is adorable!) is either an Easter Egger or a Light-Brown Leghorn. It doesn't appear to have muffs or a beard, and the legs are orange, so right now I'm leaning towards it being a Light-Brown Leghorn. Could you possibly get a close-up photo of the brown one's comb? If it it is a single-comb (like that of your Cochin), then it is a leghorn. If it is a pea comb (flat with no prominent spikes), then it is a Easter Egger. Its a bit early to tell its gender, but I don't see any obvious rooster characteristics.

I'm not sure what your black chick is. The yellow feet would make me think it is a Jersey Giant or Java, but those aren't all that common. So its possible that your chick is an Australorp, and will develop white feet later on.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by