breeds and space?

questions543

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
hello im just a beginner and im planning to get chickens and have already done some research.
My area will only allow me to have 5 chickens so I would like the breed to have the maximum egg production, my choices are buff orpington, australorp, plymouth rock, welsummer, rhode island red and wyandotte. Is one generally easier to keep than the others/

Also at the momment im designing the run and coop. I would like the happiest chickens possible, How much space should I give to each hen to have super happy hens? :p

Last edited:
All of those breeds are alost identical for behavioural traits. The RIRs are probably slightly flightier, though. For a run, birds should be given a minimum of 8ft square per bird, but the morer the merrier! Welcome to BYC!

I agree, PRs are great. As far as I know, they have a wider variety range than the other breeds you listed (Buff, White, Barred, Cuckoo, Partridge, Gold Partridge, (B-B-S)-laced Red, Red, Columbian, Black, Gold Quill, and Dark, to name most of them). I would consider them, along with the New Hamshire gold, to be the largest breed that lays well. Wyandottes, Orpingtons, etc. don't lay to well anymore (unless you can find a properly bred strain, which is hard to find nowadays), so I would say PR is the best bet for you. They are also calm.

I agree, PRs are great. As far as I know, they have a wider variety range than the other breeds you listed (Buff, White, Barred, Cuckoo, Partridge, Gold Partridge, (B-B-S)-laced Red, Red, Columbian, Black, Gold Quill, and Dark, to name most of them). I would consider them, along with the New Hamshire gold, to be the largest breed that lays well. Wyandottes, Orpingtons, etc. don't lay to well anymore (unless you can find a properly bred strain, which is hard to find nowadays), so I would say PR is the best bet for you. They are also calm.

New Hampshire "Gold" ?
There is no such breed.

Chris

I didn't mean that's what the breed was named. But that's the breeds only color. A huge number of people incorrectly call them Red.

hu.gif
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom