Breeds Coexisting

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WyattsChickens, Nov 6, 2015.

1. WyattsChickens

WyattsChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    I plan on getting one Buff Orpington and possibly one Rhode Islamd Red. I currently have just one brown chicken but I don't know what breed she is. How will they do all mixed together? Should I expect problems? I'm not sure I've heard of many problems mixing breeds but it can't hurt to get the opinions of fellow chicken enthusiasts with more experience than me.

Thanks! :)

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    My flock is kind of like the US, a huge melting pot of breeds. [​IMG] All are fine together. Some breeds do tend to get bullied a little more than others, Orps being one of them, but it really boils down to the individual bird. Some of the BOs in my flock are some of the bossiest girls in the coop, and some are lower on the totem pole. All in all, I think having a diverse flock is a great thing.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They will all coexist fine together as long as they are not overcrowded. Overcrowded can quickly lead to aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism. Just make sure that you have a minimum of 4 sq. ft. of floor area per bird in your coop (not counting the space taken up by the nesting boxes) and at least 10 sq. ft. of ground area per bird if you keep them in an enclosed run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by