Breeds for Iowa?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FriendlyFlyer, Jul 16, 2011.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    So I have a small flock of 9 birds, 6 Golden Comets and 3 Black Stars. My parents wanted me to start easy so I did. I love my babies, but next spring I want to add some beauty to the flock. I've done quite a bit of research and have decided to get some Black Sumatras, Dutch Bantams, and Japanese Bantams. I chose these breeds because (with the exception of the shy Sumatras) all of them are quite firendly. The downfall to the bantams is that I'm not sure they can hold up through Iowa winters (-20F for days at times).
    I want flashy yet friendly bantams that can also make it through cold winters. Any ideas? I'm more into the sleek kind of look as opposed to the fat (no offense)[​IMG] kind of look, although I do kind of like the look of Brahma Bantams. Any ideas for bantams or tips on helping the fragile ones through the winter? Thank you!!!!! Thank you!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

2. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

How about a full size Iowa Blue?

3. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Haha! I guess that's an option but I'm kind of looking for something small, so it will stand out in my flock, although Iowa Blues look pretty cool, and sleek! Maybe a bird to have in the future.

4. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Your tastes run contrary to your concern. The broader and heavier birds retain more body heat. They do better farther north, and the opposite down here. Couple that big broad body with a comb other than a single comb, and you have a bird suited for your winters. Doesn't mean that you can't keep what you want. Just means you will have to compensate for their short comings as far as your winters. My family is from Iowa, and the day I left I remember it to be -20+ (I think-27). If I remember correctly it was a record. That would freeze alot of birds without good shelter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by