Breeds good for the South?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by synoviaus, May 8, 2009.

1. synoviaus

synoviaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Blountsville, ALabama
    What are some good breeds for the South? I would really like some Cochins and Brahmas, but worry about the heat. I live in Alabama. It is really hot and humid here in the summer, but we do have some cold days in the winter. We usually get a fair amount of rain. We rarely get snow though, but some of my birds have fronzen their combs before. They refuse to roost in a building, but prefer a tree. Amy

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I have a Rhode Island red and she does ok here in Fl. She will hide in the shade and burry herself in the dirt to stay cool!

3. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i would assume the less heavy, the better.

4. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I have all in my sigature all do really good.

5. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Hi! I am in SE, Louisiana and have had cochins,silkies,Buff O'S, ee, for a long time. They all do fine. Be sure they have plenty of water and shade. [​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Sumatras! Cubalayas...light breeds would be better. I've lost cochins & faverolles to the heat....

7. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in North AL and have about 17 different breeds without any problems. Mine are mostly 2 months and younger though. You just need an shady area so they can cool down and plenty of water.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Surprisingly the brahmas do just fine in the heat. The neat part about owning brahmas in the south, at least to me, is that they don't need any special care at all in the wintertime. They breeze right thru our mild winters.
    The only thing I do for my brahmas in the summertime is add poultry electrolytes to their water if temps. are over 90 degrees; but I think that's a good idea for any breed.
    I have an old box fan to hang in their coop window if there's no breeze blowing.
    Their feet will get messy during mud season, but they dry off just as fast and look fine.

9. CheepSunglasses

CheepSunglasses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I am in southern VA and my poor Cochin just wilts through the summer. I would not recommend them in the southern states unless you have a way to keep them cool. All of my others do just fine, and these include RIR, PBR, Leghorns, Marans, Lackenvelder, Australorp, BOs, Sex-links and a few others.

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Rhode island reds, Barred rocks, Various types of games (Cubalayas, Sumatras, Modern and old english games, Americans, Spanish, orientals..im not naming them all lol) Silkies, Leghorns, and stuff like to do perfectly fine.. I did get some langshans before and thought they were going to die of a heartattack (Big, fluff)... However kept in shade, cool water, And try not to let them get fat (feed crack corn instead of whole corn, or cut out corn completely and feed other stuff occasionally adding corn when needed) all should be fine.

Last edited: May 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by