Breeds have more nutritious eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SilkieCanada, Sep 12, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Does anyone know if certain breeds of chickens make more nutritious eggs? Or is the nutrient level pretty much the same with all breeds?

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard and read both sides of this, with both sides claiming scientific proof. I grew up with brown eggs, therefore the first color I think of when I hear the word "egg" is "brown". I've heard that blue and green eggs whip lighter and have less cholesterol. I've heard that organic eggs have darker yolks; I've heard that organic eggs have lighter yolks. It's very confusing! But I'd rather eat eggs produced by my own hens than store-bought eggs, any day!

3. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:Well the only thing I know is that aint no chicken in your avatar.

4. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    mother earth news did a study on this ...and found color has no bearing on the content..it is all what the hen eats and the amount of sunshine she gets...the closer her diet is to natural...bugs grass seeds...the better the egg will be for you...and in this study the omega 3's were much closer to the 4:1 ratio from hens on organic layer feed and allowed to free range ...as an egg from the typical caged egg farm chicken with no access to sunlight and just a layer ration diet is closer to 20:1...in my opinion this is why a lot of americans are not as healthy as they should be...

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:I think this is a case of what goes in counts more than whether it went into a silkie, an orpinton, or a RIR. The better the diet of the bird, the better the nutritional value of the egg. If you raise for meat, the better the nutritional value of the bird as well. Now, some breeds may be a little better at moving that nutrition from food to egg than others but I'd be willing to bet that the difference is more in timing than breed with age and time of lay being a factor.

<edited for a typo>

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

But I have Cattitude!!

8. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC

But I have Cattitude!!

Guess I have bunyipattitude [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by