1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeds lacking spurs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ki4got, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    I'm curious what breeds lack spurs in the roosters. I started wondering about this when reading about Cubalayas and wondered if other breeds are similarly spur-less.

I'm still researching which breed(s) I want to go with for a dual-purpose bird.

thanks for any input.

Karen

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I dunno! I thought all chickens had some sort of nubs. Maybe the Asiatic breeds?

Hopefully someone better versed than I will chime in.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I've heard that some game breeds are multi-spurred, but bur i've never heard of spurless. Maybe you could post on the Cubalayas breed thread under breeds and showing.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cubalayas do indeed have spurs, they just grow slower than most other breeds.

Just about any Oriental Gamefowl or Gamefowl with an oriental type body have spurs that grow very slowly. I've got a Shamo who's over a year old now and his spurs are still tiny little round bumps.

5. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I have a two year old bantam Cochin roo, Spike that has no spurs, just little nubs. I've never had a rooster with no spurs or even just nubs. Spike is the only one.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Quote:the only breed that is multi-spurred is the sumatra, that I know of.

I have also never heard of a non spurred breed.

7. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    oh ok... on the ALBC website it says A distinctive trait of the Cubalaya is a lack of spurs, which was favored during the breedÂ’s development. This lack of spurs prevents young males from injuring one another during struggles for dominance.

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/cubalaya.html

if it's wrong someone needs to correct it LOL i was hoping there were other breeds too.

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    If you google cubulaya pictures, they clearly have nubbs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:ok well nubs i can live with. LOL years ago i had a red roo that was just plain mean and would spur anyone he took a dislike to. I don't want that happenning again if i cn help it.
    otherwise all roos will end up in the crockpot sooner than later

10. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    A lack of spurs isn't going to prevent your roo from being a total @$$munch. Personality varies heavily from individual to individual, even within the breeds.

I have three head roos and 30+ little roos right now. Buttholes go to freezer camp ASAP. I have only had one TRULY agressive roo--and his reign was short.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by