Breeds, laying ages, and heat related questions.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by savingpurple, Jul 17, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I have 1 white leghorn and 5 NHR that are almost 17 weeks. . I have 1 white leghorn that is almost 16 weeks.

My youngest WL, Ms Pissy, has been laying for almost 2 weeks. One of my NHR is laying almost every day for almost 2 weeks.

Should my other NHR be laying by now if they are of the same age as the one? How about my other WL? same questions.

Now I assume heat can affect the laying process, but if it doesn't affect the 2 that are laying, would it affect one from starting?

I am just impatient....tapping foot here for more eggs [​IMG] LOL We are having a heat wave of unusual temps, for a very long period of time !!!

Thanks !!!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Pullets of the same breed will not necessarily start laying at the same age. Heat tolerance and whether or not they'll lay when it's super hot is somewhat breed specific, but also an individual thing.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I have 4 isa brown pullets that are the same age. One started laying a week before anyone else. Then the next started laying, two days after that, they all started. Some are just early bloomers.

4. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Thanks...will just wait. And hope they survive the heat while at work....I do what I can...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by