Breeds Least Likley To Fly?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scott H, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Brahma, Cochin, Wyandotte?

Our lake lot is going to have 3 pullets come spring. They will be doted on pets (with benefits). Our lot is on a steep hillside with deciduous trees, shrubs and evergreens and is 50 x 130 feet. We have a 4 foot chain link fence that has native brush growing up through it. I think, under supervision at first, maybe the first year, that a breed not inclined to fly can be taught to stay in the yard. Which breed is most likely not to "fly the coop"? I really like the clean legs and color variations of the Wyandotte but I think the other 2 are less likely to vacate the premises. Thoughts?

P.S. Wyandotte really should be added to the spell check dictionary.[​IMG]

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    usually the bigger the bird, the less they fly....w/ exceptions most likely.
    brahmas are a large bird that dont fly much. wyandottes are not a 'flighty' bird, but they have better flying abilities than brahmas.
    im not really sure about cochins though...
    jersey giants are a large breed that dont fly much...just putting that out there

3. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Neither my Rhode Island Red nor Australorp can really fly. They could go a little way - maybe 1metre/3 feet - when younger (now 24 weeks old) but didn't bother much. And now they can only jump - they're such a weight now with very small wings they can't fly. Both are very nice breeds to keep, I think.

4. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    my RIRs are actually quite good fliers....none of my of my chickens have clipped wings, and the RIRs can easily get over a 4 foot fence. ive seen them do it. probably depends on the chicken...
    Another breed that doesnt fly much(at least mine dont) are barred rocks....

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Jersey Giant hens and roosters don't fly very well at all. They weigh between 7-10 pounds for a hen, 11-13 pounds for a rooster.

6. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    My Cochins don't really fly, they jump and flap their wings every now and then, but mostly the just mosey along on the ground. Actually, none of my birds really fly, except for the guineas. I have Ameracaunas, a couple of Wyandottes, Cochins and a couple others that got shipped to me by accident. They all pretty much hang around their coop and yard and don't veture very far. The Cochins are my 'eye candy' birds because they don't lay a whole lot, the rest are my egg layers.

7. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Thanks for your input! So there is a chance I won't be doing a big chicken roundup nightly!?

8. momma of a chicken lover

momma of a chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    The chickens I raised from day old were not flyers. The chicken I bought from a farm that was about 20 weeks old (silver laced Wyandotte) is a prolific flyer. She then taught one of my other chickens to fly. I ended up having to makeshift extensions on my fence for short term with plans for a taller fence...

9. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    chickens follow the leader...or any other chicken for that matter. if one chicken does something, theyll all be doing it soon....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by