Breeds of 2 Roosters, thanks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yeye5, Aug 19, 2016.

1. yeye5

yeye5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    [​IMG]

This is Creamy Roo. I apologize for the crummy pic quality. (I'm happy to take/post more if needed). Can anyone help me with what breed he is? If a new clutch of eggs manage to hatch under my broody silkie who has "adopted" them, Creamy Roo will be the daddy with Snow White (white leghorn) and with Henrietaa (poss Americauna/mix, poss EE who lays tan eggs?)

[​IMG]

This is Coco Loco. He is a rooster that I'm bringing home this weekend. He really is way more handsome than this pic shows. His likely new wives will be one white leghorn and one RIR...

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are both mixes.

3. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    Yes, thank you.
    Sadly Coco Loco passed away mysteriously the day after he got got here. He was the bright orange rooster. I'm quite upset over that.

On the happier note of Creamy Roo and his cuteness, I've been told he looks like a gamecock? Do you think he might have tha breed in him? Or do you have any breed mix guesses I could indulge in?
    Thanks bunches!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Game does come to mind as well as Brahma and Americana or EE as a few guesses. Sorry about your red rooster, his comb was quite impressive.

5. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    I also think game bird. I am still learning what to look for in males to see the breed/s.
    If he does have any EE and/or Americauna, it'll be very sweet and also interesting.
    So far none of the "big girls" (standard size hens) in Creamy Roos extended domain have been willing to brood.
    (Last year my Buff OrpX RIR hen was half way through her sitting on the eggs when a predator got in, killed her, and I was unable to save/hatch the eggs no matter the method I tried. It was terrible!).
    This said, my silkie darling hen decided to go broody (again!) when I'd only got up to 3 eggs stored for her. She happily "adopted" eggs from the big girls! She's been on a clutch of 3 of her own eggs plus eggs from Henrietta (black with gold laced hackled poss EE/poss Americauna mix) with Creamy Roo, and also a couple of eggs from Snow White (white leghorn) with Creamy Roo.
    I don't want to "count my chickens before they hatch! But I am sincerely hoping for a good hatch.

Also I don't know how long a hen needs to be mated by a roo in order that her egg/s are fertile by that roo(?) I'll say that the late Coco Loco had been in a pen with Rosalie (white leghorn) and Coraline (RIR) for 2 days. IF that's enough time, and IF a hen decides to brood, I do have the eggs from those hens stored as well. Wouldn't it be a great memory into future if someone could hatch them and they're from Loco?

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Those silkies will sit on anything constantly, I have bantam cochins currently who I use to hatch everything for me. Good luck with the hatch. I would assume that eggs would be fertile within a day of mating, but don't know for sure.

7. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    Thanks for your sweet wishes. I hope the hatch results in as many little cuties as possible too! It'll be very funny to watch the adopted chicks outgrow their adoptive mom pretty quickly.
    Too bad we're on opposite ends of the country! I have a big interest in cochins in general and I have a fascination with bantams.
    For my own education (bcs I recently heard something odd about how cochins were "created") what can you tell me about the breed? Are the a mix of one thing and another that established genetically?

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I believe it's been a set breed for many years now. In other countries they are called pekin. They do come in many colors, and in both straight a frizzled. Mine are cute, adorable and very sweet temperaments. They go broody regularly and I use them to hatch eggs for me. One year one hatched a trio of turkeys, they started to become fearful of them as the turkeys grew. It was hard keeping the turkeys out of their pen. Since than they only hatch the turkeys and I raise them. Here's just a few of them.

[​IMG]

9. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    I can't imagine this turkey hatching story!!! Turkeys saying "where's my mommy?" Hen saying "Waaaay over there in that other direction". LOL.
    What you're telling me is what I originally understood about the cochin (pekin) breed. I was in contact with a person who said that (the chickens she was selling) cocchins come from frizzle silkies/sizzles bred back to...I don't know...but it didn't resonate with my understanding. I figured why not re-check and now I have. Thank you for your Honest explanation!

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You unfortunately can't trust anyone anymore. There's no silkie in the Cochin breed. I have mixed the two and they are a nice mix. Weird that people can't be honest. If nothing else, order them from a hatchery if you want some, they might not be show quality, but the will be purebred.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by