Breeds of chickens that like to be picked up and held + snuggle?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sire12, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Sire12

Sire12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I've read through the long forum post on here about friendly breeds and it helped alot I've decided to buy brahma and australorp hatching eggs and raise them from chicks to be as social with me as possible, was also going to speckled sussex as they also seem to be the right candidate but others have said they can be quite noisy :( buff orps also are the most popular but I've read that some owners say they don't actually like to be held? I do love LF orps though they are beautiful, the thread didn't mention alot of breeds that actually like to be held and even snuggle, most other site's top 10 lists only listed docile and easy going birds, I'm looking for specific breeds that are known to be lap chickens and very affectionate with their owners, I know it varies from bird to bird on their Individual personality but I mean in general, I have neighbours close by on either side (I can't keep roos) so they need to be quiet breeds like the australorps and brahmas and also can't be too skinny and flighty as I only have a 4 foot fence, any help is appreciated thanks

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    the Basque hen and the Silkie.
    Best,
    Karen

3. Sire12

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I ended up getting brahmas :) they do seem to be the least skittish when I pick them up and they are only 3 months so far, I'm thinking of getting another batch of eggs to incubate again so il give this thread a bump :)

EvansMeXo likes this.
  4. EvansMeXo

EvansMeXo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    I know it's too late but my silkie is the cuddliest of all my chicks

Attached Files:

5. Sire12

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland

Aww that is adorable :)