1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeds of Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sher1302, Mar 2, 2016.

1. sher1302

sher1302 New Egg

Feb 25, 2016
    Georgia
    I am embarking on getting some chickens mostly for eggs, but want them to be friendly so am asking all the pros out there, what breed of chicken would be best for what I am looking for. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your help.

Sherry

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Try starting off with Orpingtons, Marans, or Cochins. All docile .. and descent egg production. Some higher producers are not as friendly as these. On the side of this page are reviews that will help you make great decisions. The better informed you are,,,,, the happier you will be with your final choices.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I too like Orpingtons and my preferance are English orps specifically.Beautiful Sweet birds but so are my American Orps.Orps come in many colors too.
    Silkies are SUPER docile but are bantams HALF the size of Large Fowl...Only thing need 2 of their eggs to make one large fowl egg .;-) still youd fall in love.GREAT PETS.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by