breeds of chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jncmud, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jncmud

jncmud New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    North Royalton, Ohio
    We are finally going to be getting approval to have chickens in our backyard!
    We are not allowed to have roosters, which is fine with us.
    We would like some input on what are the best chickens to have as backyard pets. We have some breeds to pick from. We live just outside of Cleveland.
    Black Australorp
    Buckeyes
    Buff Orpingtons
    Easter Eggers
    Gold Laced Wyandotte
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    White Plymouth Rock

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  3. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Buff orphingtons are gentle and good pets, they are decent layers too. I have 2 that are over 8 years old and still give me eggs, although it's one every month or so and most of the eggs are shell-less.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Buff orpingtons are my favorite breed. They are affectionate, docile, sweet natured and very curious. Great with kids if tamed while young. Black australorps, EEs, and buckeyes are also known for their friendliness. Wyandottes can be docile if tamed when young. They tend to be a bit more bossy though.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

I would suggest the Wyandottes (Gold or Silver Laced are fine). My Wyandottes are the favorite of my breeds of chicken. They have had excellent temperaments (docile, gentle, inqusitive, personable), been very good egg layers, and been extremely hardy through heat and especially cold. Easter Eggers are another good choice, as they have good temperaments and lay lovely colored eggs.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Think you would be happy with any of those breeds, the EEs are fun because of the colored eggs and the Wyandottes are a beautiful color pattern.

1 person likes this.
  7. kkelley

kkelley Just Hatched

Mar 17, 2015
    We have 3 Buckeyes. They are not friendly and tend to pick on our other chickens. We had an Easter Egger until an owl got it. She was awesome.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC I've heard a lot of good things about Black australorps.

9. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome. As you can see, everyone has her own favorite breed(s). So if you want another two cents worth...Black australorps are great egg layers. Since you live in Ohio, it should be mandatory that you have at least one Buckeye if you're from the Buckeye state. (I have several. Love them. They're friendly and lay a good number of really large eggs. They're on my "get more" list.)
    If you have kids, or even just for yourself, the colored eggs of the Easter Eggers make a great contrast in the egg carton. Mine lay well, and grownups as well as kids love green (or blue) eggs with ham. With their pea combs they tolerate both extremes of cold and heat very well. So do the buckeyes.
    The wyandottes are beautiful. I don't have any myself, but I know people who do. The opinion seems to be that they like them, but they are sort of middle of the road. They're neither at the top of their list or at the bottom. You really can't go wrong with any of the birds on your list. If you get several breeds you can have different colored eggs and see which breeds you prefer.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

All of those breeds would probably be great for you. In particular, though, I recommend Wyandottes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by