1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeds, please?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jlkcamper, May 16, 2011.

1. jlkcamper

jlkcamper New Egg

May 10, 2011
    We bought our 6 hens from a local farmer just over a week ago; ever since then, my husband & I have disagreed on what they are. So I turn to my knowledgeable new friends at BYC [​IMG] to help identify them.

We have 4 red hens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And 2 black hens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We have gotten 14 eggs from them since bringing them home last Saturday evening, and have loved watching them! I haven't named them yet...still watching them to learn their personalities. We just call them "The girls" for now.
    We built our coop, but it is still a work in progress...in fact, we had to finish enclosing it last Sunday just to put them in it! [​IMG]

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Just a guess here: Production Reds and Black Australorps.

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    New Hampshire Reds, a Black Sex Link, and an Australorp

4. jlkcamper

jlkcamper New Egg

May 10, 2011
    Thanks! I know they're not the best pictures and it can be hard to tell. I was guessing New Hampshire Red, but the black ones just had me [​IMG]
    My hubby says Gold Star for the reds & Sexton (???) for the blacks. I'd heard the term Red Star before, but never Sexton. He swears that's what the farmer told him.
    Needless to say, we're both new to this, so neither of us are claiming to know much [​IMG]

5. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    The first photo looks just like a regular backyard New Hampshire that has molted at least once. A couple of mine looked like that after their first molt. Not all of them molted into a bird with that much shafting. The black in the tail is a clue that she's a New Hampshire, too. She looks good.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The black ones look like RIR to me. I've seen them that dark.

7. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:lol SQ RIRs are Mahoganey, not Black

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:[​IMG]

~Aspen

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:are you saying black sex link becasue it has a bit of dark red to the feathers? I can tell the australorp, but I was wondering about the red int he one ?
    trying to learn too
    thanks )O(
    Pink

10. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I am kind of thinking that the "BSL" could be a FBCM/BCM?

The others do look like hatchery New Hampshires.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by