Breeds question--am I being taken??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by groleau6, Feb 18, 2014.

1. groleau6

groleau6 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    I am still learning the different breeds, the basics, and the how to of chickens. Today, I was offered some Frilkies, Frizzles, and Sizzles. I was told they are a hybred for better quality. I can't really find much information on them, but 45 dollars a pullet seems a bit much for me. Can anyone shed some light one these for me, because I thought they just might be barnyard mutts.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    frizzles are chickens that have feathers that are described as wind swept, as if they walked in a storm backwards. so they curl up and towards the head. sizzles are silkies that do the same thing. i dont think they are worth that much but they do cost more then your average chicken. it depends on if they are show or what. are they worth it? depends on how bad you want them.

3. maran man

maran man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    They are fancy breeds the frizzle is a genetic mutation that can not be bred together and sizzle is a silkie frizzle cross its very broody show breed. Never heard of a frilkies so idk and no I wouldn't pay that much myself unless the sizzles where perfect quality. Can u get pics?

4. mrs1885

mrs1885 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Van Buren Co, TN
    I agree with Granny Hatchet. I personally wouldn't pay that much for them. They're cute............but 45 bucks each? For something cute to look at that might give you a few eggs a week, I'd say it's over priced. I personally like Seramas and Sebrights for pet chickens, especially silver sebrights. I like them A LOT. But I still wouldn't pay that kind of money for them.

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    im gonna jump in and ask, do you know why you cant breed them together? i have never heard of the other one either.

6. groleau6

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    I didn't think to take photos. And honestly, I wouldn't know a perfect chicken if it pecked me in the forehead.

7. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    This is red frizzle cochin bantam chick.

[​IMG]

Any breed can be frizzled as long as they meet the requirements for type of that particular breed. The ideal is to have feathers that frame the chicken like chrysanthemum blossom.

Frilkies and Sizzles are just Silkies crossed with a Frizzle, usually a Bantam Cochin, then crossed back to silkies in succeeding generations until they have the dark Silkie skin and slight curl to soft feathers.

Breeding frizzle to frizzle will result in chickens that have very fragile feathers and is not encouraged. Smooth/silkie feathered is usually bred to frizzle feather which results in chicks both frizzled and not. Only one copy of the gene is necessary to express.

Here is a second generation non-frizzled sizzle chick. It's sire is a frizzled silkie with light skin and mom is a pure buff silkie. Dark skin is starting to show up.

[​IMG]

$45 for a Sizzle/Frizzle pullet is pretty steep unless it is show quality. Nice pet quality usually go for $10-25 here.

There are BYC threads with pictures for Sizzles, Frilkies and the Tolblunt, just search this forum.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. groleau6

Feb 3, 2014
    Alabama
    Thanks for the information

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    fragile feathers, as in they would fall out?

10. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Sort of. They can be sparsely feathered, feathers break easily sometimes close to the skin. Sometimes they don't grow back. It doesn't make for a healthy bird.

A couple of things to look for -- these things make it NOT show quality.

No yellow/white skin anywhere. Should have blue/black skin like this pure silkie chick (only covered by more feathers LOL)

[​IMG]

Should have five toes -- not more, not less like these.

[​IMG]

Soft curled feathers, crest and beard if it is a bearded variety.

Bright turquoise blue ears

Colors - blue, black, white, buff or patridge. The red/buff chick I posted above is not a competition color so it wouldn't qualify for "show quality" price.

Small mulberry colored walnut (bumpy) comb...not red, straight or anything else unusual.

The Bantam Silkie Club is a good site to google too.

They don't lay a lot of eggs, what they do lay are small, but they do love to hatch eggs if you also have a rooster. They are also great pets but they don't fly much or very high so they do better in confinement.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by