breeds & silkies

greeneggs444

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
so ive heard silkies are really nice? are they too hard to take care of, imean with their fluffy feathers is it worth it?

In my opinion silkies are not any harder to take care of. You just have to watch for mites as they LOVE to hide in all that fluff, and if you're showing just have to keep their feathers in condition. But as far as just having silkies go, they aren't very high maintenance
smile.png
...........IMO anyway
wink.png

yeah well me and mites dont mix are they like little fleas? are they hard to get rid of if they do get them?

I hate to break it to you, but any breed of chickens are bound to get mites at some point.
hide.gif
idunno.gif
Mites can be controlled by dusting, spraying, dips....etc.

My silkies usually start getting them in the fall when it begins to cool and then usually they go away in the spring, but I don't know it this is the same case for others. When I notice some mites I give them a couple squirts with Adam's Flea and Tick spray and they go right away,
big_smile.png

I love silkies! They are very docile and the hens make great broodies. The bonus is that they are also beautiful! Im glad i got into them.

Quote:
From the way you formed your question its almost like you don't really want them. I don't suggest anyone choose a breed just because a bunch of us lunatics are addicted to the breed.

Most of us have 50 or more Silkies. That right there says they are no harder to care for than any other breed. If it were true then we'd spend our entire day doing nothing but caring for them. In some regards they are easier. But the higher bred the more challenging in some areas but that is also true for every breed.

Quote:
From the way you formed your question its almost like you don't really want them. I don't suggest anyone choose a breed just because a bunch of us lunatics are addicted to the breed.

Most of us have 50 or more Silkies. That right there says they are no harder to care for than any other breed. If it were true then we'd spend our entire day doing nothing but caring for them. In some regards they are easier. But the higher bred the more challenging in some areas but that is also true for every breed.

X2
yuckyuck.gif
I Love my Silkies too:D

Back
Top Bottom