1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeds that can be sexed easily as chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mother o' chicks72, Jan 11, 2012.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    So we're looking into getting some more chicks but due to the fact that we got so many roosters last year and they are not allowed here we would like to get breeds that can be easily sexed from a very young age. I do not mean vent sexed, I mean just looking at the chicks pattern and coloration. Any one know of breeds like this, I know about the sex-links already but I think there are some others like that as well. Thanks!

2. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Anybody?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It isn't the breed that really makes them sexable, it is the color. And most breeds come in many colors, much more than a hatchery offers ;)

Anything in Barred or Cuckoo colors - Those you can sex as soon as they're born by the size of the white dot on their head; - Large blotches are males, small round dots are females.

Anything Wheaten colored can be sexed as soon as the feathers come in - Males are darker, mostly black and red or brown, females are pale creamy tan-ish with a white underside/breast.

Anything Partridge, Penciled, or Duckwing can be sexed once fully feathered - Males have black breasts and yellow, white, or red necks/wings/backs. Females are a mix of patterns in brown-gold/black or white-gray/black.

4. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    To autosex:
    -Anything Silver Grey; Duckwing; BBRed; Light Brown; Partridge
    -How you tell: this only works as day olds, but males have subtle stripes, whereas hens have stark, contrasted stripes.

5. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    must they be day olds? or is any less than a week fine?

6. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Barred rocks are the easiest for me! As they grow out, the males are lighter when they lose their down. But as Ilia said, males will have smeary dots on the heads and females will have sharp spots.

7. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I believe they have to be day olds, but I haven't tried this method on older chicks. It might also depend on how fast they grow. BYP has an article about this in their online library, 'determining the sex in chicks'. It might be helpful.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Cream Legbars are an autosexing breed, having been bred with just that goal in mind, plus they lay a beautiful blue egg.

9. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    crele penedesenca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by