Breeds that get along with Wyandottes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scooter&Suzie, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My friend has a Golden Laced Wyandotte hen. It is defeathering all of her other hens (Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Black Austerlop, and a Partridge Plymouth Rock), so she needs to rehome the Wyandotte. I am going to offer to take her, if I can find another hen for her to live with. I have a coop all ready, all I need is a buddy for her. Any breed reccomadtions? I'm not sure if all Wyandottes are as bossy as her. A couple days ago she wouldn't allow the other hens inside the coop to eat or drink. I am thinking she needs to go in with another hen that would be close to the top of the pecking order.

Any breed ideas? I don't want to put her in with my hens... She will boss them too death (quite litertly, I'm afraid).

2. bird boy

bird boy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    It sounds like she might be a problem hen with any other hens you get. You could try clipping her top beak so she can't pull feathers, you could keep her caged by herself giving her plenty of feed and clean water with a nesting box or you could process her. She is a dual purpose hen and should dress out nicely if you decide to go that route.

3. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmm.... I was hoping I could keep her. If she can't find a new home for the wyandotteshe is going to cull her, and I really don't want that to happen.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    How about another Wyandotte hen? Maybe a good old Rhode island red. Maybe just being in a new home and messing up her pecking order will help.

5. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Yea, I agree. A new home may do the trick, especially in an established flock.

6. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    The people I would be getting her from said putting her in solatary confinement did humble her a bit. I'll try to find a Wyandotte for her.

Edit: And I do think the reason she is pecking all the other hens and being bossy, is just because she is at the top of the pecking order. Any input on that?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  7. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Oh, I think that the hen is somewhere around 2 years old (give or take a few months). Should I get a hen the same age, younger, or older?

8. hannahransom

hannahransom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Lakeside, CA
    I'm sure if you put her in with your established flock she would be bottom girl on the totem pole.

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    But the OP doesn't have an established flock. OP is asking what breed to get as a friend.

I would get an aggressive breed like a RIR. I have had GLWs in the past (still have one and she is the dominant hen of my group, but she is also much older than her mates), and they are all a bit grumpy and bossy. I think a RIR might be able to hold its own against a GLW as long as they are around the same age/size. Size is more important than age.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  10. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Just to offer my experience with Wyandottes. I have four. Two SLW's and two GLW's. Three are three years old, one is two years old. I have several other breeds, and the Wyandottes get along well with all the rest of them, but almost all skirmishes in the run are among the Wyandottes. They're scrappy little buggers.

Once, when one of the Brahmas, who had seniority, was returned after being sick for a week, she was challenged by a Wyandotte. When I reach out to hug and cuddle any hen, it's a Wyandotte that objects and pecks both me and the hugged hen.

I've never had a RIR, but I imagine they'd be the only breed capable of putting a Wyandotte in her place. It certainly wouldn't be another Wyandotte, because mine all challenge each other all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by