1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeds that get along??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommas chickens, May 13, 2011.

1. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    I have 2 Buff orpingtons and 2 easter eggers and was wondering if a brahma and a deleware would get along with my other hens?? Please help I don't want to say yes to possibly taking a few from my friend once they hatch if they wont mingle well with the girls I already have. Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I have 5 Easter Eggers, 2 Black Jersey Giants, 2 Barred Rock and 2 Delawares, they all get along but I think the Black Jersey Giants are the dominate pullets, no roosters. My Delawares are smaller so far, but quicker at getting the worms that venture out. They all scrabble over who gets the top rung of their roost. Over all these birds have been a pleasure, no drawing of blood. Good luck.[​IMG]

3. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I find that my dual purpose chicksn flock together better vs. the flightier ones.

4. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    I would have to say the only breed I have that don't play nice is my Japanese Bantams. Sure theres some crabbyness sometimes but the only chicken I have thats a real demon spawn is the Japanese Bantam Roo.....He has 4 hens and my god they are his girls and hes just a *^$^&*( to anyone else.

5. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    Thanks everyone!! She decided to keep he chicks but Im doing some research now for breeds to add to my flock next year!! Early I know Im just so excited!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by