Breeds that grow fast and crow late?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sydney13, Sep 19, 2011.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Not sure if this is the right section but im wondering which dual purpose breed would be the largest size before the roosters begin to crow?
    I raised some hatchery rhode island reds for meat and boy did they taste good but by the time they were ready to eat they had been crowing for about a few weeks (I don't want to wake the neighbors). I know if I raised some cornishXs I would have a big bird long before any crowing begins but I really like the flavor of the dual breeds. So my question is which dual breeds would be largest before they start crowing? I was thinking maybe buckeyes or brahmas, probably one of the dual breeds that isn't bred so much for eggs....

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Just a little advice - Don't again go to hatcheries to raise dual purpose breeds for meat. [​IMG] Hatcheries don't breed for dual purpose, they breed for egg production. If you compared your Rhode Island Reds with heritage or show ones, you'd be amazed at the size difference.

I best suggest a breed like French Marans though. I've always known them to be relatively quiet, and crow anywhere from an average age perfect for butchering to a later age at 6-9 months. Some of the big strains of Black Coppers are always a wise choice, too.

Also, if you're used to hatchery birds, the size of a well filled out Marans will shock ya. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by