breeds that lay colored eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Truscifi, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Truscifi

Truscifi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Hi all, I'm new here and to raising chickens. We have a RIR cockerel and pullet, 2 Americauna pullets, an Andalusian pullet, and an EE that looks suspiciously like a black maran but is supposed to lay olive eggs. None have started laying yet but all are in the 16-20 week range, so I'm hoping any day now...

Sadly, we had a splash EE that was killed by a neighbor's dog a couple days ago. She was supposed to lay pink or lavender eggs according to the breeder. We would like to get a couple pullets to replace her that lay different colored eggs from what we already have. Any suggestions for cool colored eggs?

2. Mommy2Blaze

Mommy2Blaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    I am also interested in many different colored eggs. No specific purpose I guess, just because they are pretty lol.[​IMG]

So I wanna keep up here too.

3. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I love the dark chocolate color of a Welsummer egg. They look like Cadberry eggs!!

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Are your Ameraucana pullets purebred? If so they should lay blue eggs only. There's a lot of good info on this site about the difference between Ameraucana and EE. The EE should lay green eggs, and possible olive from that one that might be crossed with a Maran if the other parent was a true Ameraucana. You could always get a Maran if you want dark brown eggs. The only bird that I know of that really lays a pinkish colored egg is a croad langshan, but their eggs can range from brown to cream also. Barred Rock have been known to pop out the occasional light pink egg, but I think it's pretty rare.

5. Mommy2Blaze

Mommy2Blaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dalton, GA
    Oh man, now I need an Ameracauna, Welsummer and an EE. [​IMG] I will have brown eggs but need pretty colors to put with them. SLW's lay brown right?

6. Truscifi

Truscifi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    The Americaunas are pure I think, I was told they would lay blue green. The EE that is supposed to lay olive does look lie a Maran, so it may well be a Maran-Americauna cross. I will look into the Welsummer and pure Maran for the chocolate eggs - that would be cool.

And we went with the different colored eggs just because they are pretty too. [​IMG]

7. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:yes, they lay brown eggs. Make sure you get your Ameraucana from a reputable breeder. MANY people don't know the difference, and all big hatcheries misleadingly sell EE as Ameraucanas.

8. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    Just to show off. The light brown are Cochin, the dark brown are Marans and all the rest are EE. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Some of my EE lay a pinkish/peach egg as well as green and blueish...

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If the person you got them from spelled them Americana, then you have an EE. Pure Ameraucana's are more rare and you have to get them from a breeder.

Marans egg center, white egg is from a buttercup, the others are light olive. (Olive egger over pure Ameraucana)
    [​IMG]

Pure Ameraucana egg, center:
    [​IMG]

Welsummer eggs, center:
    [​IMG]

Penedesenca's lay really dark eggs, but from what I hear, they are super flighty. Croad Langshan's (not available here in the US) lay an egg with a purple tint. Barnevelder eggs in other countries are really dark, but they need work here in the US. They are still pretty, just not as dark as they should be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by