Breeds that lay well in wintertime?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chellester, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I know there was a list somewhere on the net which chicken breeds lay well in wintertime, but now I can't find it. [​IMG]

So I will ask the BYC community: which breeds are supposed to lay well in wintertime? Which breeds don't? What are your personal experiences with this?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    For me personally....RIRs, Light Brahma, Buff Orpingtons and Black/Blue/Splash Orpingtons...all Standards and lay well in the dead of winter...they never missed a day laying in the coldest weather...very hardy birds...all brown egg layers...

3. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Crevecoeurs are winter layers. Mine start about mid November (remember I'm in CA), and lay until about April. Medium sized, white eggs.

4. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Another good winter layer is turkens(nacked necks). Mine pretty much lay all year round every day. Only stoping to molt.

5. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    I've heard Buff Orpingtons, Silver-Laced Wyandottes, and mabey Black Australorps. [​IMG]

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Black Sex Links and Jersey Giants, they lay Large brown eggs

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Buff Orps are the best for us here. They don't seem to care for extreme heat (which we don't get often), but when the cold weather comes, they kick into gear and the eggs keep on rolling.

Jody

8. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    I vote for Silver Laced Wyandottes and ISA Browns. We have both and they lay all winter in Michigan. My grandmother who has had lots of hens was really impressed with the SLW and how well they lay in really cold weather.

9. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

I finally found the website I was looking at for: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

The
    winter layers are indicated by a snowflake by their egg symbol. They are as follows:

Chanteclers
    Delawares
    Dominiques
    Favorolles
    Jersey Giants
    New Hampshires
    Orpingtons
    Plymouth Rocks
    Rhode Island Reds
    Sussexs
    Wyandottes

Anyone agree or disagree with any of these on the list?

Edited because I am sick and therefore can't think or type worth squat. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by