Breeds that went Broody and Aren't supposed to

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jackie B., Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    You know, I just find it funny that in my first year of raising chickens, I had 3 broodies out of a flock of 9 girls. 1 BO, 1 Oliver Egger, and 1 Silchen. After all the reading and studying I did, I was SURE that I wouldn't get breeds that went broody! Ha they fooled me!

Anyone else have breeds that are known NOT to go broody and did?

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I don't have a particular breed, but I have a hen that just went broody after 4 years of constant egg laying.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Jackie B. :

You know, I just find it funny that in my first year of raising chickens, I had 3 broodies out of a flock of 9 girls. 1 BO, 1 Oliver Egger, and 1 Silchen. After all the reading and studying I did, I was SURE that I wouldn't get breeds that went broody! Ha they fooled me!

Anyone else have breeds that are known NOT to go broody and did?

In my experiance BO are very broody. My sister has a flock of 14 BOs and currently 9 of them are sitting. I have had 3 EE's go broody this year, and my silkie hasn't went broody at all this summer. She was broody when I got her, but she lost all of her eggs and has not resumed egg laying...hmmm [​IMG]

I have a BR that is showing broody tendancies. She hasn't totally comitted to sitting, but she will sit overnight instead of roosting, and throughout the day. I think it is just too hot for her.​

4. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    My first broody was my White Leghorn. From what I've read they rarely ever go broody. Go figure.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have some production reds that hatch out chicks.
    My BO and EE are always going broody.
    I have alot of broody hens here that are different breeds also.
    [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    To be blunt, I don't think you did a great job of picking non-broody breeds. The Buff Orps are known for going broody a lot. Mine never did, but they are famous for going broody.

Despite what you read on here, EE is not a breed and Olive Egger are EE's. EE's are a mixed chicken that has or might have the blue egg gene. They have no other characteristics. What traits they have are purely due to what they are crossed with. Most have a pea comb, but not all do. Leg color can vary. Size and egg laying ability varies. Broodiness varies. What are the characteristics of her ancestors? That is what you get with an EE. My solid red EE has a modified pea comb, yellow legs, is my best layer with a large green egg almost every day when she is laying, and is currently broody with chicks she hatched. Not traits that people associate with an EE.

I'm not sure what you mean by Silchen. If you mean Silkie, they are notorious for going broody.

Any hen might go broody. The production breeds like Rhode Island Red have had most of the broodiness bred out of them, but they still can go broody. Life often finds a way.

7. Jackie B.

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Quote:I think my BOs were hatchery chicks and from my understanding hatchery birds have less of a tendancy to go broody. My Oliver Egger is a Black rumpless Aracauna over a FCM hen. My Silchen is a silkie crossed with a cochin. Yeah she may have the broodiness in her with the Silkie, but hey, what do I know. From the additions to this thread, my assumption was correct: there really isn't any rhyme or reason as to what breeds decide to go broody, at what age, and to what extent. You can only assume based on what you read and talk to people based on their past experiences!

8. Jackie B.

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Quote:Haha any room to lay eggs up in there?!!!!

9. Jackie B.

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Quote:Of course; why would that go any other way! [​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A Leghorn and a Sexlink... annually! GO figure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by