1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeds together or apart?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by twinnersmom, Apr 6, 2009.

1. twinnersmom

twinnersmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Utah
    I am getting my chicken coop ready and have decided which chickens I would like to start with. Can I put them together? Do i need a male and female of each so that they will produce eggs? Any advice is welcome!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Can I put them together?

Yes
    Do i need a male and female of each so that they will produce eggs?

No, you don't need a rooster to get eggs, only to get fertile eggs (ones that can hatch into chicks if incubated)
    Any advice is welcome!

Look around here and read lots, and don't be afraid to ask Questions!​

3. horsegirl

horsegirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    The only reason you would need a rooster of each breed is if you wanted to breed your birds and breed them true. But it sounds like you are just keeping them for fun, and in that case, you do not need a rooster at all. Chickens lay eggs whether they are fertile or not, it does not matter.

Different breeds of chickens can stay together just fine, some breeds tend to be more flightly and others agressive and others docile, but usually they will find a way to all get along, just like people.

4. twinnersmom

Apr 6, 2009
    Utah
    I want some orpingtons, but the info I have found says that when placed with other chicks that they were the bottom of the totem pole and I want them to make it.

5. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:Sorry I had to laugh at this. I have 6 Orpingtons in with 8 Barnevelders and 4 Ameraucanas. All 2 weeks old. The Orps rule the roost at this point. They are out growing everything else and getting the lions share of treats. I don't think they are as meek as some would have you believe.

Now if the other chicks were much older it might be a different story. But if that were the case any chick two weeks junior(to a point) will be very low on the Totem.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Just get at least 2 Orpingtons. Or 2 of each color of bird.
    I have 2 BO's, and the bigger one is boss.

A friend got one, and 2 each of her other breeds, and the BO was picked on. It was the only buff-colored bird.
    My birds definitely pair/group themselves by color!

7. twinnersmom

Apr 6, 2009
    Utah
    oh good! My husband was trying to convince me to get them or not get them as chicks so they would make it, but apparently no worries needed! Thanks!

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    i have buffs orps, rir, ee, bs, slw, & br all together and my bo, bertha, rules all 75 (more in the house and on the way [​IMG] ) she is really sweet and loves to have my kids carry her around. she even seems to rule the roo. if he starts crowing and she doesnt like it she will chase him off.

9. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I have 3 buff orphingtons and 3 barred rocks both breed so far have been awesome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by