breeds w/ 5 toes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AZmama, May 26, 2007.

1. AZmama

AZmama Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2007
    Are there other breeds besides silkies w/ black, 5-toed feet?
    While at the feed store yesterday, in the brooder of "assorted bantams," I spotted a ball of fluff with such feet. I didn't notice any feathering on the feet, but I didn't know to look for that. It was fluffier than the rest. Dark in color.
    Could it be a silkie? What else could it be? I really want a silkie. The other problem is, it is straight run. I cannot have a roo here.
    Oh, what to do, what to do![​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Dorking, Faverolle, Houdan, Sultans all have five toes. I don't know about foot color, though. Could have been a Silkie with bad foot feathering.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  3. AZmama

AZmama Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2007
    Thanks for the reply, Cynthia. I looked up pics of the varieties you listed. None look like the fluff ball yesterday. It probably is a silkie. With my luck though, it'll be a roo. I guess I'll wait. Maybe someday we'll have a farm in the country, and it won't matter.

4. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's my dorking. She has 5 fat toes and one of the friendliest chickens I've got. When she was small I was alarmed at all her toes. You can only see three, but the other two are on the back of her ankle.

[​IMG]

5. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Dorking Feet! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    You must have been to the same place I went to last month!! Well, at least I have chicks like that. The TSC had a tub of at least 25 chicks in it. All were black, all of their feet were black top and bottom and 5 toes. None had even the slightest amt of foot or leg feathering. No puffy crest or cheeks. Other than 5 toes, they do not resemble Silkies at all. If they were crosses I would expect some differences...but none. Right where the bottom side parts of their beaks where it meets skin...there appeared to possibly be a faint copper color in the feathers. These were also labeled bantams. I bought 4 just to see. I also bought 2 New Hampshire's the same age to make up the 6 minimum required by law. Well, After a month, they are still as big as the NH's and they have normal feathers. So, no ideas yet for mine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by