breeds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I-LOVE-INCUBATORS, Aug 6, 2009.

1. I-LOVE-INCUBATORS

I-LOVE-INCUBATORS In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    indiana
    hi i was looking for some answeres but i really cant find them i wanted to know witch chicken breed is the best breeds i just bought a farm its always been my dream to run a farm i need at least two great breeds.thank.by the way do any of u know any goog sites that sell big hen houses for resonalble prices.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. mayden

mayden In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Tioga, PA
    I don't think you can go wrong with Rhode Island Reds or Braumas

3. I-LOVE-INCUBATORS

Aug 6, 2009
    indiana
    thx very much but r buttercup sussex good

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quite frankly and adamantly if your going to have a farm why not make it count? There are number of "heritage" breeds that need preserving. Read up on them and pick at least two. You can still keep other breeds for a personal food source if your not sure. I will say that I have Delawares and they were the bird of choice before the RIR displaced them. There are many good "dual purpose" heritage birds as is the RIR. I'm not opposed to the RIR but they are pretty common

5. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Songster

May 31, 2009
    MN
    I second the heritage breed comment. There are several hatcheries and breeders that carry a wide assortment. Additionally, you need to pay attention to your climate and coop set up. SOme conditions just wont work well with a breed.

I, for example, am totally in love with buttercups... but the climate here isn't their ideal.

Find something you love, that needs preservation that works with the environment you can provide.

Here is a list from the ALBC http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens

6. SpunkyTheMonkey

SpunkyTheMonkey King of the Intardnets

May 8, 2009
    Naoussa, Greece
    best for what? do you want birds for eggs or meat or both? if both, do you want separate breeds or dual purpose birds? do you want some as pets? is this going to be a mom-and-pop farm or a commercial operation?

7. Rockland Farm

Rockland Farm In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Connecticut
    It depends on where you are. If you live somewhere where it gets cold, you should look up which chicken breeds can survive the weather best (even if it is hotter weather). Go to www.mypetchicken.com and scroll all the way down. On the left under 'free tools', 'there is a breed selection tool'. I used it and since i like in new england it can get kind of cold here and it showed me which breeds are good for my type of environment. Good luck!:)

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    haven't read other comments, but- You asked "what are the best breeds" you'll find that to be hard to find.. For some the best breeds can be leghorns, others australorps, and then someone else.. Silkies/seramas..

Now, the thing to do. Is go for what "you like" look into certain breeds http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html feathersite has a list of most breeds. Pick the ones that most appeal to you, it doesn't necessarily have to be rare, or needing to be perserved etc. That will help the chance of the breed "making a comeback" but i tell ya, finding them will need to come from quality stock or it's pointless.. And that costs money or good friends, along with i see no point in raising birds you may not like and you may not even be into that kind of stuff..

-Daniel.

9. I-LOVE-INCUBATORS

Aug 6, 2009
    indiana
    thx u guys i just ordered modem games and delaware blue hens .[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: