Breeds???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlueVelociraptor, Jun 3, 2011.

1. BlueVelociraptor

BlueVelociraptor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    England
    Sorry, this is the third time i've asked this but they are about 2 months old now and I think it's easier to tell what breed they are :)

I'm positive of the sexes, but I have not a clue of the breeds of these first two here...
    The eggs were labeld as mixed pure breeds!

Lugia, Roo (has already attempted crowing [​IMG] ) ..but I have no idea what breed he is, I love his markings though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, he's chipped his beak at the tip, do you think it was caused by the other rooster, (because they do fight a little...) or from pecking at something?
    [​IMG]

Tail Feathers... not sure if that's helpful? :')
    [​IMG]

Mudkip, a pullet, don't have a clue here either...
    [​IMG]

sorry, over exposed photos, she's a much darker black really..
    [​IMG]

Shinx. This pullet I think is a copper maran ?? She has very striking white tips on her wings... which are not visible here... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lucario, I was told is a barred rock, however someone else said cuckoo maran because of the pale legs ??
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    I don't know much about those breeds but they are all beautiful [​IMG] I hope someone else can help you get the breeds

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    well, your first one is gorgeous...not sure on breed.

Mudkip, maybe a BR pullet?: Here is a shot of my young one:
    [​IMG]

Sphinx possibly a BSL pullet: here is a shot of mine, a bit younger than yours:
    [​IMG]
    and my #2 BSL:
    [​IMG]

and Lucario, I would say BR roo, here is a shot of mine:
    [​IMG]
    I raised 5 of them, all their legs were light as this one

OR, I could be all wrong! Good luck, maybe someone else has an idea.

4. BlueVelociraptor

Apr 15, 2011
    England
    Thank you for your reply, :) Sorry but what does BSL and BR stand for?

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:BSL - Black Sexlink
    BR - Barred Rock

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    BSL would mean black sex link. That would not be a pure breed. BR is barred rock but yours legs are too white for that, you can see the difference when compared to JodyJo's. Marans is my guess on your two with white legs. Your splash marans with the chipped beak no doubt did it pecking something. The other, black and white barring, is a cuckoo marans. The others I don't have a clue, perhaps Spinx is a welsummer.

Scratch the Welsummer as they should have yellow legs. And I edited to add S's to Marans.

7. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Hmm, I agree with your initial thought that Lucario is a Cuckoo Marans not a BR(Barred Rock) The legs should be yellow on a BR like the one in JodyJo's picture. Lugia is a lovely splash, though I couldn't guess on the breed.

8. BlueVelociraptor

Apr 15, 2011
    England
    Thank you for all replies![​IMG]

Quote:I don't think that she is a welsummer because I looked at welsummer chicks and they are striped, Shinx looked like this as a chick:

[​IMG]

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You may be right about Spinx being a Black Copper Marans as they have dark legs. With a splash roo in there and you getting them all from same source you likely have all Marans. Blue color breeds out splash, black and blue. The blue and black will have dark legs. You'll know for sure come laying time with the dark eggs. Clean leg Marans of three varieties; Blue, Cuckoo and Black Copper with some interbreeding through the years. My final guess and sticking to it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by