1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarredCometLaced, Jul 20, 2011.

1. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    What breeds are good broodies, good mothers, and not too destructive in the garden? If you hav ehad a breed that matches at least not being destructive in the garden, i'd love to know! Thanks [​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:They will eat your flowers and scratch and scratch... that's chicken's nature [​IMG]

3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Cochins are sweet gentle birds that often go broody and make terrific mothers. I have 6 of them myself. And they have super feathered feet which I have heard makes it harder for them to dig as much as smooth legged chickens. So I would recommend cochins....you could get large fowl if you want big fluffy birds, or bantams if you want smaller birds.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
  5. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    I was thinking cochins, i just wanted to see other peoples opinions.

How are brahmas and silkies??

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:My Cochin Hen is a Digger...[​IMG]

7. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I've heard Japenese bantams were especially bred to be good in gardens. Many people say that due to their short legs they don't mess up gardens, but since I don't have any I don't know if it's true. I've also heard they make good broodies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by