breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raymondjames, Sep 18, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Hi i am incubating chickens. I got them from my neighbors farm and they have one white chicken and other orange ones. Their rooster is black. I was wondering if the chicks take the breed from the male or female. I don't know what breed the chicks will take (but the eggs seem identical o_O) . help?

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well they wonÂ’t take one certain breed b/c they get equal genes from the black roo and what ever hen they came from weather it is white or orange, the chicks will most likely be a mix of colors they will all be mixes of their parents
    Oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  3. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Welcome!

If the parents are of different breeds, (and it sounds like they probably are) your chicks will be mixed. One of the exciting parts of mixed breed chickens is waiting to see what your chicks look like! [​IMG] Post photos when they hatch!

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I love my mixed chickens! They are all kinds of colors, some of mine have feathered feet and some don't; some have 5 toes on one foot and 4 on the other, some have pink/white legs, some have willow legs, some have slate legs, some have black legs... The possibilities are endless!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    They will be mixed. Welcome to BYC

6. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I love mixed chickens too. I got a bunch of breeds with the express purpose of having a future flock of chickens that, as Pete Seeger reminds us, like people are all mixed up!

[​IMG]

7. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    i will but there is 21~ days to hatch! just started today. its my first incubation! So excited to see totally random chicks!!!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by