breeeds breeds and please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jt813, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    ok so i a, gonna be getting two ducklings from my local grainstore and they have the following breeds ( pekin, khaki campbell ,swedish ,and mallard wich one of these do you think is the best for kids to handle and be okay with and dont fly very much also its my first time with duck what do i need to care for them i want everything a beginner needs to know and more thanx - jt

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Hi!

Have you seen this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/647999/tips-for-the-new-duck-owner

Good information there.

As far as breeds, any duck can be a great pet, it depends on how carefully they are raised, and how much time is spent with them.

Regarding kids, how young? Ducks' legs are easily broken, and their wings can be broken, too, by rough handling. Some kids need to work on their gentleness. Some are naturally good and handling animals.

Also, I have had ducklings try to eat my eyebrows (they must look like caterpillars!), and once, Zehn stole a kiss. Ouch! So I would recommend making sure everyone keeps their faces at least a foot away from the ducks until and unless the ducks grow up to be mellow, and don't tend to poke at faces. I can now put my nose on top of some of my ducks' bills, and cuddle with them. But when they were babies, up close face time was not a good idea.

3. jt813

Feb 9, 2012
    thanx tht really helped and the kid is four he is pretty gentle we had chicks and he was very good and thanx for all of the help

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Would love to hear how it goes!

5. jt813

Feb 9, 2012
    ill keep you updated and does anyone else have any more advise please

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by