Brentwood CA newspaper article. I'm in it!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Gnawsey, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Gnawsey

Gnawsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
  2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Congratulations!!

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    That's right! DEMAND chicken respect...lol! Seriously, good job! It would be nice if you could have more than 3 though! Fight another day [​IMG] I hope you succeed in this battle first!

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hey neighbor! Thanks for posting the article. I'm about 30 minutes away and have a meeting that night, but if there is any way I can make it out there.

BTW, I'm bothered by the bit about flies and smell. Either the people complaining don't know what they are talking about or those tending to the chickens aren't caring for them properly. Like I've said before, improper care of chickens isn't much different from improper care of dogs or cats. If you put 8 dogs in a small area and never clean up after them you're gonna have a LOT more noise, smell, fly problems than with the same number of chickens!

Keep up the good work!

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Great article, and best of luck getting the rules changed for backyard chicken owners! It's true, small numbers of properly cared for chickens aren't a nuisance at all, even in a city setting. I've got more than thirty birds (in a rural area, zoned agriculture), and even then there's only minimal smell! I would say minimal noise as well, but I have guinea fowl, so... [​IMG]

Wishing you the best of luck in getting the rules changed! [​IMG] I'm rooting for you!

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Congratulations

and good Luck with getting the rules changed.

[​IMG]

7. Gnawsey

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks everyone! At the last meeting, 4 out of the 5 (one person was absent) voted yes to the chickens, but could not decide on the lot size. 2 voted for 6,000sqft and the other 2 voted for 10,000 sq ft. This next meeting should break the tie. Cross your fingers it goes to the smaller lot size.

Stacie

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    fingers crossed.

9. Gnawsey

Apr 3, 2007
    ok... A 3 to 2 vote for 3 hens on 10,000sq ft lots. This is just the recommendation for city council. The City Council meeting will be on Jan 26th at 7pm. The meeting got pretty negative and ugly last night. And a brawl almost started after the meeting between two neighbors :-( Most people that are speaking are against the chickens. I would love to be able to round up more pro chicken people to attend the city council meeting since this is the final vote. Does anyone have any ideas about finding people to come or at least send emails to the council members? I was thinking about hanging fliers at the feed store. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Stacie

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Fliers in the feed stores (ask if you can post them right on hte counter by the checkout where people can't miss it) is a great idea--also pet stores. See if there is a local poultry club and get them involved. Call the county extension agent and ask for their input and advice. Find some non-chicken owning neighbors who support the cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by