Brentwood farm lost 20 chickens and 10 turkeys to dog attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by icbleu, Oct 1, 2013.

1. icbleu

icbleu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Antioch, CA
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. Some of the commens:lol: are ridiculous.
    I know - from a friend having one published about herself, for something that was so stupid - articles are biased and full of lies.
    I think that the way the death of the dogs was handled was strange, but he did have the right to kill them. I mean, a Rottweiler and a German Shepard.... Intimidating! If a 6'5 man pulls a knife on me, I'd be shooting before a 2 year old pulled a knife on me.

I feel bad for owner of the dogs since it is painful, but she needed a better fence, and needs to own up her dogs were killing livestock and the rancher did what was not only legal, but nessacarry. Even if they were passive and 'would've run', a dog changes when it goes for blood - you CANNOT say if they would or wouldn't run.

ETA ;;
    Sorry, totally off topic, but I LOVE your macaws and parrots and such :3 we just got some Linnie's and I'm totally addicted, I want a conure or 50 Linnie's xD

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: How can you argue with that?
    [​IMG]

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Her attitude is EXACTLY the attitude I use to deal with all the time when I lived in the middle of Illinois. My guess is it is not the first time her dogs were running at large.

I think Mr. Christ handled it ok, when asked if he had remorse he should have said, yes were are remorseful we had to protect our livestock by killing another animal and I will be seeking restitution for my losses.

5. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    "I think that the way the death of the dogs was handled was strange,..."

Strange indeed. Why didn't Christ call the police after he had dispatched the dogs? Were pictures taken of the damage the dogs did? From the article it sounds as though there was no evidence a crime had been committed by the dogs. I certainly agree that Christ had every right to protect what was his, but some things just seem a bit "off" about this story.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Does anyone see a problem here?

"A Rottweiler and German Shepherd were brutally murdered Saturday morning in Brentwood on Concord Ave and Creek Road after they got loose. The dogs were reportedly beaten to death with a shovel and later burned and buried in which law enforcement is saying its within the law."

If it is within the law, it was not murder. I do not know how they can call themselves a newspaper writing a news article with blatant opinion like that.

The guy had the right to protect his flock. But he was obviously trying to hide what he did by taking the dead dogs to another location and burning and burying them. If a dog or dogs attack livestock, a person has the right to kill the dogs to stop the dogs from killing the livestock.

There was no need to hide what happened, if the guy is telling the truth.

The second article stated that there was no evidence that the dogs had killed any chickens or turkeys. But that may not be accurate.

It is possible that the owner of the chickens and turkeys killed the dogs without the dogs killing anything. The round numbers of 20 chickens and 10 turkeys make me suspect those numbers are made up.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Good points.

I will say this though having dealt with the media for many many years in my job they never let the truth get in the way of a good story. So who knows what Mr. Christ had or didn't have. He very well could have shown them pictures of the destruction and the media very well could have chosen not to show them.

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Maybe, but any self-respecting news organization doesn't write blatant opinion as news. When they write "brutally murdered" they are stating opinion with brutally and murdered, which is shown to be false in the next sentence. It's just bad.

It does not state it is opinion, so I took it to be a news article.

Newspapers I am familiar with always try to get the facts straight. They put quote marks around someone's opinion.

9. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree with your statement. Maybe I should say, they leave out pertinent information, maybe not intentionally but having dealt with them you can give an interview, give them facts in writing etc and they edit.

10. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Murder, by definition is the killing of humans (actually, homicide is). Not dogs and not cats. Dogs and cats are not people and considering them "part of the family" doesn't make them so.

As for the story, it sounds like a failed SSS (shovel, shovel, shut up in this case). If you're going to SSS, they better stick with it. Without bodies or a video or really credible witness, the only thing they can get you with is tricking a confession out of you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by